Gentoo Beginner Guide: Stage 1 Install

• Thread starter klusener
  • Start date
In summary, a user is considering trying Gentoo for the first time and wants to do a stage1 installation. They have been reading documentation but are looking for a summary of the process. Others advise following the instructions given in the Gentoo handbook, which involves three phases: booting off of CD, installing a base system, and downloading and compiling for 3 days. However, it is mentioned that compiling from source is not necessary for all applications unless specific optimizations are desired.
klusener
I have decided to leave slack behind for a while and take a look at gentoo, which I have never tried before. I want to do a stage1 install and I have been reading some of the documentation on the gentoo site, but cannot find any good summary of the process. Can someone please explain it to me or rather provide a link to a site that does explain the process for a Gentoo beginner? Thanks a lot.

Computer science news on Phys.org
There seem to be three phases:

1. Get your computer booted off of CD, and get networking running.
2. Install a base system on your computer.
3. Download and compile for 3 days.

the compiling doesn't really take that long apart from gnome/kde and openoffice. most apps are compiled in a few minutes at most.

You don't have to compile from source with gentoo, although it is the default option with emerge. If you don't enable architechture specific optimizations, its pretty superfluos anyways. Even if you do, it isn't worth it for the vast majority of applications except for obvious ones like the kernel.

1. How do I begin the Stage 1 install process for Gentoo?

The first step in the Stage 1 install process for Gentoo is to download the necessary files from the Gentoo website. These files include the installation handbook, the Gentoo LiveDVD, and the stage1 tarball. Once these files are downloaded, you can begin following the instructions in the installation handbook to set up your system.

2. What is the purpose of the Stage 1 install process for Gentoo?

The Stage 1 install process for Gentoo is designed for advanced users who want more control over their system and want to customize every aspect of their installation. It allows for a more minimalistic and optimized installation, as it involves compiling all software from source.

3. What are the minimum system requirements for a Stage 1 install of Gentoo?

The minimum system requirements for a Stage 1 install of Gentoo are a 64-bit processor, at least 512 MB of RAM, and a minimum of 10 GB of hard drive space. However, it is recommended to have at least 2 GB of RAM and 20 GB of hard drive space for optimal performance.

4. How long does the Stage 1 install process for Gentoo typically take?

The length of time for the Stage 1 install process can vary depending on the speed of your system and internet connection. It can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day to complete. It also depends on the number of packages you choose to install and the complexity of your customization.

5. Is it necessary to have prior experience with Linux to perform a Stage 1 install of Gentoo?

While prior experience with Linux can be helpful, it is not necessary to perform a Stage 1 install of Gentoo. The installation handbook provides detailed instructions and explanations for each step, making it accessible for beginners. However, a basic understanding of the Linux command line is recommended for a smoother installation process.