Solve Moving Train Problem: Acceleration of -1.85 m/s^2

• Thread starter Logistix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary, a passenger noticed that an electric train's first wagon passed beside them after 4 seconds and the second wagon after 5 seconds while decelerating linearly. The first wagon stopped at 75 meters in front of the passenger. By using equations for distance, velocity, and acceleration, it was determined that the train had an acceleration of -1.85 m/s^2 and an initial speed of 16.61 m/s. By considering the length of the wagons and solving a system of equations, an alternative solution was found with an acceleration of 0.24 m/s^2.
Logistix
NOTE: This is no homework, just me having fun with physics, maths, logics etc. Do not take this problem as priority, there are surely more serious and urgent problems out there!

Homework Statement

A passenger standing beside the railway noticed that the first wagon of the electric train, decelerating linearly, passed beside him after 4 s, and the second wagon after 5 s. The first wagon stopped at 75 m in front of the passenger. Calculate the acceleration of the train.

t1 = 4 s
t2 = 5 s
s1 = 75 m

Homework Equations

s = v0*t - a*t^2/2
v = v0 - at

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming the second wagon was the last and that it stopped at the same time as the first and that both are of same length, it is to say that the length of both wagons is 75 m. This also means it took the train 75 m and 9 total seconds to decelerate to 0. Now I wrote:
75 = 9*v0 - (81*a)/2
Since we don't know v0, we insert it from the following equation:
0 = v0 - 9a
v0 = 9a
--> 75 = 9*9a - (81*a)/2
75 = 81a - (81a)/2
after solving: a = -1.85 m/s^2
Then we find v0:
0 = v0 - 16.65
v0 = 16.61 m/s

As I do not have the solutions and the page from where I downloaded the assignments (in Croatian) didn't even offer them, I'm just asking from your opinion and critics and eventually the right solution.
I also tried this by not including v0 and using a different concept, however without it even more weird solutions came up. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Logistix, welcome to PF.

You cannot assume that each wagon is 75 m long. That's a pretty long wagon if you think about it. You have three unknowns, the length of each wagon L, the acceleration a and the initial speed v0. Therefore, you need three equations. You have found two of them

L = v0*4 - a*42/2
2*L = v0*9 - a*92/2

Can you think of a third one using the fact that the front wagon travels 75 m before it stops?

Right, that came to my mind in the beginning but I didn't want to work with equation systems, but it's all ok. I'd add the equation:

75 = v0*t - a*t^2/2
t = total time which we don't know, nor do we know the a so I replace:
75 = v0*t - v0*t/2 (a = v-v0/t -> in this case, v=0, so it can be simplified to a=-v0/t, in s form: s=at^2/2->s=v0/t*t^2->s=v0t)
Now t is a new unknown so I replace
0 = v0 - at We replace the t with the one in the previous expression:
150 = 2v0t-v0t
150 = v0t
t = 150/v0 -> 0 = v0 - 150/v0*a /*v0
0 = v0^2 - 150a
v0^2 = 150a

So the system is:
l = 4v0 - 16v0/2
2l = 9v0 - 81v0/2
v0^2 = 150a

After solving, which I did rather quickly due to some other obligations, I got a = 0.24 m/s^2.
Thanks for your help!

1. What is the formula for solving the moving train problem with an acceleration of -1.85 m/s^2?

The formula for solving this problem is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do I determine the final velocity of the train in this problem?

To determine the final velocity, plug in the given values of u (initial velocity) and a (acceleration) into the formula v = u + at. Make sure to convert the units of acceleration to match the units of time used.

3. Can I use this formula for any given acceleration and time?

Yes, this formula can be used for any given acceleration and time, as long as the units are consistent. Just make sure to plug in the correct values for u and a.

4. How do I know if the train is speeding up or slowing down with an acceleration of -1.85 m/s^2?

An acceleration of -1.85 m/s^2 indicates that the train is slowing down, since the acceleration is negative. If the acceleration were positive, the train would be speeding up.

5. Can I use this formula to solve for other variables, such as time or acceleration?

Yes, this formula can be rearranged to solve for any of the variables. For example, to solve for time, the formula would be t = (v - u)/a, and to solve for acceleration, the formula would be a = (v - u)/t. Just make sure to plug in the known values and solve for the unknown variable.