1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving tricycle

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I have a fairly simple question, but I am a newbie. I have to move a tricycle from one position to another. The position of the middle of the two back wheels is described as X_initial = (x, y, theta). The function (in matlab, but I guess it could be in any language) should take in parameter the initial position, the angle of the front wheel (phi), the speed of the front wheel (meter/second) and the duration (in second) and then return the new position X_current (x,y, theta).

The distance between the two back wheels is Z cm and the distance between X and the front wheel is also Z cm.

How can I calculate such a problem?
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2
    are you trying to write a function modelling the motion of your tricycle?

make a vector t, t=t0:tmax (t = [0 1 2 3 4 .... tmax]

Pos = < X0 + X(t), Y0 +Y(t), theta0 + theta(t) >

choose x(t), y(t), and theta(t) to parametrize any curve you want the tricycle to take, like a circle. hope this helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook