Solving a Puzzling Problem Involving Mass and Angle

• Thread starter SnowOwl18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Mass
In summary, the problem involves a mass suspended by a string in a moving van with an angle involved. The goal is to find the acceleration of the van using Newton's 2nd Law and a Free Body Diagram. The tension can be broken down into x and y components using trigonometry. The x component is found by multiplying the tension by the cosine of the angle, while the y component is found by multiplying the tension by the sine of the angle. It's important to also consider the downward force of gravity on the mass. Dave has successfully solved the problem.
SnowOwl18
Ok, here's a problem that stumps me. I'm not quite sure how to go about doing it...especially since there's an angle involved. I tried doing it before, but I forget what I tried...either way, the answer was wrong. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :eek:)

----A mass M = 13.0 kg is suspended by a massless string from the ceiling of a van which is moving with constant acceleration a. If the string makes an angle theta = 11o with respect to the vertical, what is the acceleration a of the van?-------

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Newton's 2nd Law

[tex] \sum^{n}_{i=1} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

Do a Free Body Diagram, so you can get the acceleration of the Body hanging, which will be ?

hmm...but how do i incorporate the angle?

SnowOwl18 said:
hmm...but how do i incorporate the angle?

Components of Tension.

By "Components of Tension", he means that the x & y components can be solved using trigonomotry.

To find the X component, it would be: Tension * Cos11
Y component: Tension * Sin11

Remember that there is also always a Y component of mg doing straight down.

Dave

1. How do you approach solving a puzzle involving mass and angle?

First, I gather all the necessary information and variables related to the problem. Then, I use the appropriate formulas and equations to analyze the given data and determine the unknown values. It is important to carefully consider the units and conversions when dealing with mass and angle measurements.

2. What are some common mistakes people make when solving this type of puzzle?

One common mistake is not properly setting up the problem or using incorrect formulas. It is also important to pay attention to significant figures and rounding when calculating values. Another mistake is not considering all the given information and variables, which can lead to incorrect solutions.

3. Can you provide an example of solving a puzzle involving mass and angle?

Sure, for example, if we have a block with a mass of 10 kg on an inclined plane with an angle of 30 degrees, we can use the formula F = mgsinθ to calculate the force acting on the block, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). So, F = (10 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(sin 30) = 49 N. This shows that the force acting on the block is 49 N.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving puzzles involving mass and angle?

This type of problem-solving is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences. For example, it can be applied in calculating the force and torque needed to lift and move objects, determining the tension in ropes and cables, or analyzing the stability of structures.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving these types of puzzles more efficiently?

One tip is to draw a diagram or sketch to better visualize the problem and understand the relationships between the different variables. Another helpful approach is to break down the problem into smaller parts and solve each part individually before combining them to find the final solution. And, as always, practice and familiarity with the concepts and formulas will lead to more efficient problem-solving.