1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving Water

  1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    What do you call the force that enables water to keep coming after you suck on a pipe just as long as you keep the end of the pipe lower than the water level of the source. Is it the pressure difference or is it another force.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2008 #2
    I think its called "capillary action", and its due to pressure differences.
  4. Mar 18, 2008 #3
    You are correct ryanbeech. It is the pressure difference between the upper and lower ends that keeps the liquid flowing. It's called a siphon action.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Moving Water
  1. Moving water (Replies: 1)

  2. Force of Moving Water (Replies: 3)

  3. Move water molecules (Replies: 12)