Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mozart's Symphonies

1. May 14, 2005 #1
    I am making a list of the music I have. The problem I have come across is this.

For those of you that have read the website without knowing what you are looking for then I will explain. The rest of you will know what I might say.

I was wondering if anyone knows, for sure, how many symphonies Mozart actually wrote as this website says it could be 55 or more. I also thought he wrote 41, therefore finishing with the 'Jupiter'.

If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

The Bob (2004 ©)

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2005 #2
    Speculation:

They may be including some juvenile symphonettas or something, that are generally not included in the mature works. Really great stuff for a 10 year old, but not really performance worthy compared to the 41.

Or, they may be refering to suspected symphonies that were never published and are now lost.

4. May 14, 2005 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

A quick check on Wikipedia reavels this list, which also points to this list.

5. May 14, 2005 #4
    Why don't you just ask me? I am after all the reincarnation of Mozart.

6. May 14, 2005 #5
    Yeah, that's weird to get an e-mail saying "Mozart has just replied to the thread `Mozart's Symphonies.'"

7. May 14, 2005 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

How many symphonies Mozart wrote, basically depends on what you count as a "symphony". Mozart himself didn't assign the canonical numbers for his numbered symphonies; someone did that after he died, I don't remember when. The pieces that are now generally accepted as "unnumbered symphonies" (the one with Köchel catalog numbers but without "symphony" numbers) were originally considered to be divertimentos, serenades, etc. There are also several collections that Mozart made of his stage music or extracts from operas, that are sometimes considered to be "symphonies."

In the late 1970s or early 1980s, the Academy of Ancient Music recorded everything by Mozart that could possibly be considered a symphony, and came up with a total of 66 or 67.

8. May 14, 2005 #7
    bah... Mozart... :yuck: & why symphonies? double :yuck: gimme a small orchestra or soloist/duo/trio playing some obscure baroque stuff over anything by Mozart or any symphony any day :approve: :wink:

9. May 15, 2005 #8
    Y'know who's cool...Buxtehude.

10. May 15, 2005 #9
    How old was Mozart when he wrote K16 (Symphony #1)

raptusassociation.org/symphoniegeschichte1e.html

--
    Grove reports that already at the age of eight, in the year 1764, Mozart wrote his first symphony while staying in England [....] Grove lists as his first symphonies K16, K19a (which was recently re-discovered), K19, K22 and K45a
    --

Catharine Cox estimated that Mozart's IQ was 165.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=mozart+iq+cox

At an age of 8 years and 0 months, Mozart would have had an adult equivalent IQ of around 82.5. At an age of 8 years and 6 months, Mozart would have had an adult equivalent IQ of around 87.7. For perspective, an IQ of 85 was the old standard upper-threshold for mild mental retardation. (The new standard upper-threshold is an IQ of 70.)

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  11. May 15, 2005 #10

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This site catalogues all of Mozart's symphonies. Apparently there are 57 symphonies or symphony parts:

http://www.mozartproject.org/compositions/ca_13.html

AM

12. May 15, 2005 #11
    I didn't know that we had a member called Mozart. I don't really pay attention.

As to the thread, from what has been offered I get the feeling there are 41 symphonies and parts of another up to (possibly) 67. Still I am not sure how many I should catalogue for my music list.

As for:
    I do not think there is anyone from with Mozart. In fact, personally, I like almost all known composers of the Baroque, Classical and Romantic periods. I think people that appreciate music are put off by Mozart because everyone knows his name. Anyone anywhere does. He is one of the typical people that you name when you say 'Classical Music Composer'. This original thinking lead me to seek other people like Bruckner, Mahler and even Tippett. Recently I have come back to Mozart because his music is simple but very clever in a way that people can take a while to appreciate. He is the development of Haydn and other Classical composers and the basis of many great composers studies. Study his life and he becomes even more amazing (well not as much as Roderigo or Delius but still...).

The Bob (2004 ©)

13. May 15, 2005 #12
    that's PRECISELY why I don't usally go for mozart. he's got some good piano sonatas though, like that one on the truman show soundtrack. the only 'mainstream' composers i really listen to are bach (anything but esp cello suites), beethoven (not the symphonies) & handel (just water music & royal fireworks music). right now i'm into locatelli, biber, heinichen, schmelzer, telemann, geminiani, vivaldi (absolutely not the 4 seasons), marini, veracini & others. i also like latin-american guitar like lauro, ponce, barrios-mangore, villa-lobos & rodrigo.

re: buxtehude I read that he was one of js bach's major influences & idols but i haven't heard anything by him yet. i should check him out since i'm already into stuff from that period.

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  14. May 15, 2005 #13
    If you like Bach's organ music you will almost certainly like Buxtehude. The influence becomes obvious pretty quickly.

The interesting story is that Bach almost took a post at Buxtehude's church where he would have become the older man's successor in time, but the position required that he marry one of Buxtehude's daughters, and she is said to have been...lacking in appeal. He declined.

15. May 16, 2005 #14
    That is cool. Everyone has their own taste and reasons and that one is as good as any.

I will have to look some of these up. I can't say I have heard some of them.

The Bob (2004 ©)

16. May 17, 2005 #15
    mozart would probably be a good 'intro' composer for someone who is thinking about listening to some classical but i've branched out a bit from the 'mainstream' stuff. same with movies, tv, books, etc. i still haven't seen titanic & haven't read the da vinci code, & probably never will.

re: looking up stuff I highly recommend biber's violin sonatas played by either romanesca or john holloway. romanesca makes them sound like morning/sunshine; holloway makes them sound like evening/nighttime. i love them both & the romanesca discs have a couple extra things on them too. amazon.com has samples

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  17. May 17, 2005 #16
    I will look Biber and some of the others mentioned in this thread. I find it interesting to see who else is around that I do not know. I have had to stay to the 'norm' because of the way I compose and the way I learn from the 'norm' but I need the others to allow me to see how others do it.

Cheers.

The Bob (2004 ©)

18. May 21, 2005 #17
    If you are not sure whether a certain piece of music is written by Mozart, there is one universal criterium to check it : play it backwards. If it still makes ingenious musical sense, it was written by Mozart

marlon, the biggest Mozart fan around...voi che sapete che cosa è amor...

PS ever considered the Mozart Forum ? http://www.mozartforum.com/VB_forum/index.php?

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  19. May 21, 2005 #18
    i don't know if i believe that. i'll believe that when i see it somewhere else. people say bach was the undisputed master of that sort of stuff, with his fuges/canons with inversion & so on. that's what art of fugue is all about & it's considered an epic masterpiece, and only one of bach's works.

20. May 21, 2005 #19
    you don't have to believe me, just check it out for yourself...

and it's Bach...

marlon

21. May 22, 2005 #20
    :rofl: I have found my music buddy :rofl:

The Bob (2004 ©)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?