Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mozilla download day!

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2
    What, it's today? Damn, I made a pledge to download it, but I don't have access to high speed today...Anybody having or going to a Download Party? Ha, so geeky, I know...

4. Jun 17, 2008 #3

HEEH HEEH HEY GUYS....a DOWNLOAD PARTY...HEEEH HEEH

It's gonna take you a while to recover from that one binzy...

5. Jun 17, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't forget the dress code...pocket protectors, tape for your glasses, and an inhaler. :biggrin:

I think I finally unbroke my computer from the last software I attempted installing (not sure yet, but found some stuff the uninstall didn't remove...and this was software provided by our IT people...I got talked into trying it first by the more technophobic faculty I work with :rolleyes:), so I'm not about to try upgrading my browser on the first day the version is released! Someone else can be the guinea pig on this one.

6. Jun 17, 2008 #5
    I waited like 1 year for IE 7 and still waiting for vista, but I am crazy after firefox :biggrin:

7. Jun 17, 2008 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow. Here I am, Listening to They Might Be Giants, and I DON'T feel like a geek!

Party on you guys!

8. Jun 17, 2008 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unfortunately most of their servers crashed for most of the day.
    There has supposedly been a big downloadspike for the new opera 9.50 and safari.

9. Jun 17, 2008 #8
    I downloaded it. Unfortunately, the mouse gestures add-on I use has not been updated, guess I gotta look into that now...

10. Jun 17, 2008 #9
    Using my smart location bar, I found this really hilarious youtube video :smile:. I had bookmarked it few months ago, but then it got lost.

Michigan Coach Goes Crazy!! Kevin Borseth Rant, Hilarious!!

Really love the smart location bar!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Jun 17, 2008 #10
    haha, nice video. I agree, the "awesome bar" is really awesome!!!

12. Jun 17, 2008 #11
    Actually, the beta version has been out for a few months now, so it's safe to get. Besides it'd be better than IE no matter what. I HATE IE.

13. Jun 17, 2008 #12
    Don't call me that....

14. Jun 18, 2008 #13
    Couldn't have been quicker or easier. Nice new look.

15. Jun 18, 2008 #14
    I pledged, but I just can't get into the download site. To be part of the world record, you have to download from the mozilla website alone. I think I have about 9 hours left to download.
    The only reason why IE is so popular is because 90% of its users have not even heard of firefox. You can bet your last nickel that Microsoft engineers are poring over the firefox source code as we speak, for IE8.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  16. Jun 18, 2008 #15
    I clicked on your link, arunbg, and yes, I got an error message about the page you are trying to connect to.

If you follow the link from the first post in this thread World Record Page it should work fine for you.

17. Jun 18, 2008 #16

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What does a download party entail? I mean.. how do you make such a thing into a party.. and why?

18. Jun 18, 2008 #17
    North Korea didn't make a single download, they gotta hate FF there.

19. Jun 18, 2008 #18
    I finally got the link to work, FF3 looks great btw!
    You download and you party. simple.

Over 8.6 million downloads are claimed. I can make it to the Guinness book now, along with 8.6 million others :frown:

Interesting download statistic: South Korea - 44848 , North Korea - You guessed it, 0
    Those poor people.

20. Jun 18, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, and you have a new look too! Congrats on going gold! :biggrin:

Cool. I'll plan to upgrade Monday (I have to give a talk Friday and don't want to disrupt anything on my computer until that's done).

21. Jun 18, 2008 #20

turbo

Gold Member

I got the upgrade this morning. I've never had any trouble upgrading Mozilla's products. Wish I could say that for Microsoft.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?