Calculating Voltage Across 8 Ohm Resistor Circuit Design

In summary, The person is designing a circuit and trying to calculate the peak to peak voltage across an 8 ohm resistor using an op amp. They have found that the output of the op amp is 14 volts peak to peak and are seeking tips on how to calculate it by hand. The attached circuit includes a PNP transistor and standard class AB output stage with diodes and resistors to prevent thermal runaway and cross-over distortion. The voltage output is determined by the op amp's ability to reach its rails and the series of components, including the negative swing through Q3 and the high swing through Q1.
ThatGai

Homework Statement

I am designing a circuit and trying to calculate the peak to peak voltage across the 8 ohm resistor. I'm getting 14 volts peak to peak output from the op amp. Any tips where I should start would be helpful.

I've attached my circuit to the post, Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is a design problem I am allowed to use software to play around with the circuit and measure the output, but I was wondering how would I calculate the voltage by hand.

Attachments

• MP3 Circuit.png
    MP3 Circuit.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
ThatGai said:
Since this is a design problem I am allowed to use software to play around with the circuit and measure the output, but I was wondering how would I calculate the voltage by hand.

Q3 should be a PNP transistor.

The diodes D1,D2 and the transistors Q1,Q3 are a standard class AB output stage -- you may want to look that up if you are not familiar with it. R5 and R6 help to prevent thermal runaway on Q1 and Q3. As those transistors heat up, their VBE drops which causes more current to flow, which heats up the transistor, their VBE drops, etc. More current in R5/R6 acts as negative feedback to take away part of the VBE on Q1 and Q3 and reduce current.

Q1 and Q3 operate as voltage followers. The voltage output of the amp is directly transferred to the load through a VBE drop in Q1 and Q3. The diodes ensure that there is no cross-over distortion, ie no gap where Q1 and Q3 are both off. So the peek to peek voltage swing is going to be determined by how close the 741 can get to its rails on its output.

The negative swing sees Q3 transferring this voltage to the load less a VBE drop through the series R6/R8.

On the high swing, if the 741 can go high enough, D1 and D2 stop conducting**, and the base current of Q1 is determined by R7. So R7,Q1,R5,R8 determine how high the output can go.

** either the base of Q1 rises to 1.4V below the high supply so that the diodes can't get their VD drops in or current is diverted away from the diodes and into the base transistor to supply the load.

Last edited:

1. What is the equation for calculating voltage across an 8 ohm resistor in a circuit?

The equation for calculating voltage (V) across an 8 ohm resistor in a circuit is V = I * R, where I is the current flowing through the resistor in amps and R is the resistance of the resistor in ohms.

2. How do I determine the current flowing through an 8 ohm resistor in a circuit?

The current flowing through an 8 ohm resistor in a circuit can be determined by dividing the voltage (V) across the resistor by the resistance (R) of the resistor, using the equation I = V / R.

3. Can I use the same equation to calculate voltage across any resistor in a circuit?

Yes, the equation V = I * R can be used to calculate voltage across any resistor in a circuit, as long as the current and resistance values are known.

4. How does the resistance of the 8 ohm resistor affect the voltage across it?

The resistance of a resistor affects the voltage across it by determining how much current will flow through it. In a circuit with a fixed voltage, a higher resistance will result in a lower current and therefore a lower voltage across the resistor. Similarly, a lower resistance will result in a higher current and voltage across the resistor.

5. What other factors besides resistance can affect the voltage across an 8 ohm resistor in a circuit?

Other factors that can affect the voltage across an 8 ohm resistor in a circuit include the voltage source, the overall circuit design, and any other components connected in series or parallel with the resistor. Additionally, external factors like temperature and humidity can also affect the resistance and therefore the voltage across the resistor.