MP3 Player Battery: Single vs Rechargeable Options

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of different types of batteries for MP3 players. Some prefer a standalone battery that can be easily replaced, while others prefer a rechargeable battery through a USB connector. There is also a discussion about the convenience of having a PC nearby for recharging and the possibility of using a battery pack for extended playing time. Additionally, there is a mention of the cost and availability of replacement batteries, as well as the difficulty of replacing a battery in certain MP3 player models. Some also express dissatisfaction with Apple's battery replacement policy for iPods. The conversation ends with a clarification about the power supply of USB ports and the preference for a user-replaceable battery.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am going to buy an MP3 player but I have doubts about battery duration. What do you think is better:

-A single changeable battery.

-A battery recharged by USB connector to PC.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i prefer the standalone battery, but that's bcuz i can't get to my pc all the time.

I prefer the changeable battery. Remembering to connect to the USB port is more of a pain than remembering to buy batteries (since i fill my mp3 player up once and then rarely change the songs on it, and i always need batteries for something).

Go Pocket PC!

Get an Ipod. Recharging it through an adapter shouldn't be too much of a hassle. However, the newer models have longer battery life, but only come with a USB cable and you have to pay extra for the adapter.

The_Professional said:
Get an Ipod. Recharging it through an adapter shouldn't be too much of a hassle. However, the newer models have longer battery life, but only come with a USB cable and you have to pay extra for the adapter.

Don't they have an extra thingy you can pop a battery in that you can use to extend the playing time if you can't get to a power source? I know it's going to cost extra, but I think I've seen that advertised with the iPods.

I have to agree on the battery pack thing that doesn't require plugging it into your computer. Afterall, if you were always so close to your computer, you could just play the music on that and wouldn't need an MP3 player. As long as you don't need any special type of batteries, you can always carry a few extra with you. Batteries are also easy to find if you run out of spares for some reason, like if you're traveling and aren't near a recharger.

But, I don't have an MP3 player, so don't know from experience what the battery life comparison is. I just know my own habits are that I'd always forget to plug the thing in at night. I already have enough trouble remembering to plug in my cell phone, which is why I got a car charger for it. :biggrin:

I prefer the stick-into-computer kind. My iPod charges really quickly from either my desktop, the mains or my car.

If you get something with an internal battery, make sure it's replacable, since batteries wear out as you know.

Thanks all.

My budget is limitated, so I cannot buy a PC pocket or so. I have seen the opinion is divided.

I usually stay a lot of time in front of my PC, specially since I am making my final senior year project. The main problem I see with changeable battery is the model (maybe it is not available anywhere) and the cost of each battery. On the other hand, recharging by USB has the inconvenient of having to have a PC nearby.

Brewnog, is it any PC valid for recharging?, or does it have to have some special configuration for doing so?

Clausius2 said:
Brewnog, is it any PC valid for recharging?, or does it have to have some special configuration for doing so?

All the ones I've seen just use a USB or Firewire interface. If you use a USB hub, make sure it is has its own power supply, - some are fine for transmitting data but aren't capable of powering devices too. As for Firewire, you need to use a particular type of cable with the extra connectors for power, I think.

brewnog said:
All the ones I've seen just use a USB or Firewire interface. If you use a USB hub, make sure it is has its own power supply, - some are fine for transmitting data but aren't capable of powering devices too. As for Firewire, you need to use a particular type of cable with the extra connectors for power, I think.

Thank you very much. Actually I don't know if my USB is able supply power. My laptop is relatively modern, a Toshiba 2.8Ghz. It has 4 USB connectors.

Clausius2 said:
Thank you very much. Actually I don't know if my USB is able supply power. My laptop is relatively modern, a Toshiba 2.8Ghz. It has 4 USB connectors.

The built in USB plugs can supply power. Or at least, they are supposed to. I've never heard of them not. Its just if you have a hub, that say plugs into one built in port, and splits into four. Some of those cannot transmit enough power.

My ipod was a gift. It works fine so far, but if I were going to buy one, I'd look for something with "user-replaceable" batteries. I mean, when it needs a new battery I probably will pry it open & replace it myself, but the ipod is designed to make that difficult. Apple wants you to send it to them & pay them $99 to replace the battery for you. And you don't even get back your own ipod. They just send you a "refurbished" one, i.e. someone else's.

I think that sucks.

franznietzsche said:
The built in USB plugs can supply power. Or at least, they are supposed to. I've never heard of them not. Its just if you have a hub, that say plugs into one built in port, and splits into four. Some of those cannot transmit enough power.

Thanks for the feedback, Mr. Nietzsche and Gnome.

gnome said:
My ipod was a gift. It works fine so far, but if I were going to buy one, I'd look for something with "user-replaceable" batteries. I mean, when it needs a new battery I probably will pry it open & replace it myself, but the ipod is designed to make that difficult. Apple wants you to send it to them & pay them $99 to replace the battery for you. And you don't even get back your own ipod. They just send you a "refurbished" one, i.e. someone else's.

I think that sucks.

I debated this before getting an iPod, and then discovered that they're really easy to open if you slide a guitar plectrum between the plastic front and metal back. :smile:

What is the difference between a single-use and rechargeable MP3 player battery?

A single-use MP3 player battery is designed to be used once and then disposed of, while a rechargeable battery can be used multiple times by recharging it.

Which type of battery is more cost-effective?

In the long run, a rechargeable battery is more cost-effective as it can be used multiple times, reducing the need for frequent battery replacements.

Are there any performance differences between single-use and rechargeable MP3 player batteries?

Generally, there are no significant performance differences between the two types of batteries. However, rechargeable batteries may have a slightly shorter lifespan and may need to be replaced more often.

Can I use a rechargeable battery in a device that came with a single-use battery?

It is not recommended to use a rechargeable battery in a device that came with a single-use battery. This can cause compatibility issues and may damage the device.

How can I extend the lifespan of a rechargeable MP3 player battery?

To extend the lifespan of a rechargeable MP3 player battery, it is important to properly charge and store it. Avoid overcharging or fully draining the battery, and store it in a cool, dry place when not in use.