Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MP3 Player Advice

1. Apr 16, 2005 #1

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am going to buy an MP3 player but I have doubts about battery duration. What do you think is better:

-A single changeable battery.

-A battery recharged by USB connector to PC.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2
    i prefer the standalone battery, but thats bcuz i cant get to my pc all the time.

4. Apr 18, 2005 #3
    I prefer the changeable battery. Remembering to connect to the USB port is more of a pain than remembering to buy batteries (since i fill my mp3 player up once and then rarely change the songs on it, and i always need batteries for something).

5. Apr 18, 2005 #4

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Go Pocket PC!

6. Apr 18, 2005 #5
    Get an Ipod. Recharging it through an adapter shouldn't be too much of a hassle. However, the newer models have longer battery life, but only come with a USB cable and you have to pay extra for the adapter.

7. Apr 19, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't they have an extra thingy you can pop a battery in that you can use to extend the playing time if you can't get to a power source? I know it's going to cost extra, but I think I've seen that advertised with the iPods.

I have to agree on the battery pack thing that doesn't require plugging it into your computer. Afterall, if you were always so close to your computer, you could just play the music on that and wouldn't need an MP3 player. As long as you don't need any special type of batteries, you can always carry a few extra with you. Batteries are also easy to find if you run out of spares for some reason, like if you're traveling and aren't near a recharger.

But, I don't have an MP3 player, so don't know from experience what the battery life comparison is. I just know my own habits are that I'd always forget to plug the thing in at night. I already have enough trouble remembering to plug in my cell phone, which is why I got a car charger for it. :biggrin:

8. Apr 19, 2005 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I prefer the stick-into-computer kind. My iPod charges really quickly from either my desktop, the mains or my car.

If you get something with an internal battery, make sure it's replacable, since batteries wear out as you know.

9. Apr 19, 2005 #8

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks all.

My budget is limitated, so I cannot buy a PC pocket or so. I have seen the opinion is divided.

I usually stay a lot of time in front of my PC, specially since I am making my final senior year project. The main problem I see with changeable battery is the model (maybe it is not available anywhere) and the cost of each battery. On the other hand, recharging by USB has the inconvenient of having to have a PC nearby.

Brewnog, is it any PC valid for recharging?, or does it have to have some special configuration for doing so?

10. Apr 19, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All the ones I've seen just use a USB or Firewire interface. If you use a USB hub, make sure it is has its own power supply, - some are fine for transmitting data but aren't capable of powering devices too. As for Firewire, you need to use a particular type of cable with the extra connectors for power, I think.

11. Apr 19, 2005 #10

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you very much. Actually I don't know if my USB is able supply power. My laptop is relatively modern, a Toshiba 2.8Ghz. It has 4 USB connectors.

12. Apr 20, 2005 #11

The built in USB plugs can supply power. Or at least, they are supposed to. I've never heard of them not. Its just if you have a hub, that say plugs into one built in port, and splits into four. Some of those cannot transmit enough power.

13. Apr 20, 2005 #12
    My ipod was a gift. It works fine so far, but if I were going to buy one, I'd look for something with "user-replaceable" batteries. I mean, when it needs a new battery I probably will pry it open & replace it myself, but the ipod is designed to make that difficult. Apple wants you to send it to them & pay them $99 to replace the battery for you. And you don't even get back your own ipod. They just send you a "refurbished" one, i.e. someone else's.

I think that sucks.

14. Apr 20, 2005 #13

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the feedback, Mr. Nietzsche and Gnome.

15. Apr 20, 2005 #14

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I debated this before getting an iPod, and then discovered that they're really easy to open if you slide a guitar plectrum between the plastic front and metal back. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?