Why Does Hot Water Freeze Faster Than Cold Water?

• Thread starter Unredeemed
  • Start date
In summary, the Mpemba Effect is a scientific phenomenon where hot water can freeze faster than cold water under certain conditions. It was first observed by a Tanzanian high school student named Erasto Mpemba in the 1960s. The exact mechanism behind the effect is not fully understood, but it is thought to involve evaporation, convection, and supercooling. The conditions necessary for the Mpemba Effect to occur include a large initial temperature difference, pure water, and identical containers. This phenomenon has practical applications in various fields such as ice cream making, cryopreservation, and climate science.
Unredeemed

Homework Statement

For my physics homework I'm supposed to make "5 intelligent and observant questions about the Mpemba effect." but I don't even know why it happens! Can anyone help me out?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
AFAIK no one knows exactly why the Mpemba effect occurs. I suggest you try to come up with explanations and ways to test them,

The Mpemba effect is a phenomenon in which hot water freezes faster than cold water. It was first observed by Tanzanian student Erasto Mpemba in the 1960s. Several theories have been proposed to explain this effect, but it still remains a topic of debate among scientists.

1. What are the main factors that contribute to the Mpemba effect?
2. Can the Mpemba effect be observed in all types of liquids or only in water?
3. How does the rate of cooling affect the occurrence of the Mpemba effect?
4. Are there any practical applications of the Mpemba effect in real-world scenarios?
5. How does the Mpemba effect challenge our current understanding of thermodynamics and heat transfer?

1. What is the Mpemba Effect?

The Mpemba Effect is a phenomenon in which hot water freezes faster than cold water under certain conditions.

2. Who discovered the Mpemba Effect?

The effect was first observed by a Tanzanian high school student named Erasto Mpemba in the 1960s, although the phenomenon has been documented by scientists as far back as Aristotle.

3. How does the Mpemba Effect work?

The exact mechanism behind the Mpemba Effect is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be a combination of factors such as evaporation, convection, and supercooling.

4. What are the conditions necessary for the Mpemba Effect to occur?

The Mpemba Effect is most likely to occur when the initial temperature difference between the hot and cold water is large, the water is pure and free of impurities, and the containers used to hold the water are identical.

5. Are there any practical applications for the Mpemba Effect?

While the Mpemba Effect may seem like a curious scientific phenomenon, it actually has practical applications in fields such as ice cream making, cryopreservation, and climate science.