1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MPN method for CFU

1. May 23, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I just want to know should I only use counts in tube3 to estimate microbial number, or the average of tube2 and tube3 estimation.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2014 #2
    What do you think you should do? Do you have any reason to suspect doing it one way or the other?

Also, when you say averaging the counts do you mean the raw data from each tube? Just to be clear, are you saying you will calculate, for example, (42+4)/2?

4. May 24, 2014 #3
  5. May 24, 2014 #4
    I mean now I have two estimation:

First one is No. of coliform = 39*dilution factor 1
    The second one is No. of coliform = 241*dilution factor 2

Which estimation should I use, or I need to take the average of the two?

6. May 24, 2014 #5
    We can't just offer you an answer, we are here to help you work through your problem and actually learn something.

So I will reiterate my questions above. Do you have any thoughts or reasoning for averaging or not averaging the two measurements? In an ideal world, do you think there should be some relationship between the counts in tube 2 and tube 3?

7. May 24, 2014 #6
    I think the relationship between tube2 and tube3 is a factor of ten.
    I would prefer their average as it can minimize errors.

8. May 25, 2014 #7
    I agree with both of the statements you made and would proceed accordingly if I were doing this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted