Helicopter Flight and Jet Pack Adventure

In summary, the helicopter carrying Dr. Evil takes off with a constant upward acceleration of 6.0m/s^2. Secret agent Austin Powers jumps on just as the helicopter lifts off the ground. After the two men struggle for 12.0s, Powers shuts off the engine and steps out of the helicopter. Powers deploys a jet pack strapped on his back 5.0s after leaving the helicopter, and then he has a constant downward acceleration with magnitude 1.0m/s^2. He is above the ground when the helicopter crashes into the ground.
oldspice1212
A helicopter carrying Dr. Evil takes off with a constant upward acceleration of 6.0m/s^2 . Secret agent Austin Powers jumps on just as the helicopter lifts off the ground. After the two men struggle for 12.0s , Powers shuts off the engine and steps out of the helicopter. Assume that the helicopter is in free fall after its engine is shut off, and ignore the effects of air resistance.

A) What is the maximum height above ground reached by the helicopter?

B) Powers deploys a jet pack strapped on his back 5.0s after leaving the helicopter, and then he has a constant downward acceleration with magnitude 1.0m/s^2. How far is Powers above the ground when the helicopter crashes into the ground?

I got A as 700m already B is the one I need...

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you approach part B?

I tried many ways I used Vf = Vi + at to try getting the time but that didn't work the time seemed to absurd and then I used Vf² = Vi² + 2ad to try getting distance but that was wrong to, kept getting negative numbers.

How did you apply those equations, though, and what numbers did you use?

Just use a few displacement functions.

0 = 432 + 72th -.5(9.8)th2 //time for helicopter to reach the ground
h = 432 - .5(9.8)52 //height at jetpack turn on
h2 = h - 49t -.5t2 //Plug in th-5s and h______________________________________
If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking

Garrett Stauber​

Last edited:
I still don't have B)

oldspice1212 said:
I still don't have B)

The answer to b is h2. If you solve / insert your values the equations above it will give you the answer.

40m?

I got approx. 239.5 m. There was a mistake in my 2nd equation, I assumed Powers began falling at G as soon as he stepped out, however his initial velocity allows him to continue upward for a while. So you have to calculate where he will be in 5s after stepping out (using a displacement function) and his velocity after those 5s (using v = v0 + at) Hint: His V0 is 72 m/s.

My number seems to high about 439m...

I'll go through step by step then from the beginning for you.

What to find:
H1=Height at which the engine shut off
V1=Velocity at H1
H2=Maximum Height
T=Time for Helicopter to reach the ground
V2=Powers' velocity after 5s
H3=Powers' Height after 5 s
H4=Powers' Height at helicopter impact
H1=0+0(12)+.5(6)(122)=432
V1=0+(62)(12)=72
H2=Max{432+72(t)-.5(9.8)t2} = 696.5
T→ 0=432+72(t)-.5(9.8)t2 → T=19.23s
V2= 72 - 9.8(5) = 23
H3=432+72(5)-.5(9.8)(5)2 = 669.5
H4=669.5-23(19.23-5)-.5(1)(19.23-5)2=240

It says 240m is wrong but I see how you got it.

Btw thanks a lot for taking time to help me, much is appreciated.

Not sure why 240m is wrong?

Last edited:
I believe there is an incorrect negative sign in my last equation. See if you can find it, and try 895.5 for the answer.

Last edited:
∏assignment is due in 2 hours :S ,not many tries left either, 895.5? That's higher then the max height :P, but is the negative in h4 when its -.5 should be +?

That is higher than the helicopters max height, but remember his acceleration changes to -1 after 5 seconds while the helicopter acceleration stays at -9.8. Powers Max Height is actually 934, he is still climbing when the chopper hits the ground. The (-) initial velocity was incorrect.

I love you so much man, 900m was correct, thank you sooooooo much! The explanations were wonderful...can't thank you enough!
THANKKKKKK YOU
THANK YOU
THANKKKKKKK YOU
THANK YOU!@$!@$!@$!@

What is the difference between helicopter flight and jet pack adventure?

Helicopter flight involves flying in a helicopter, which is a type of aircraft that uses rotors to generate lift and can hover in one spot. Jet pack adventure, on the other hand, involves wearing a jet pack, which is a device worn on the back that uses jet propulsion to fly.

How do helicopters stay in the air?

Helicopters stay in the air by using the lift generated by their rotors. The rotors create a pressure difference between the top and bottom of the rotor blades, allowing the helicopter to stay aloft. They can also change the angle of the rotors to move in different directions.

What are the safety precautions for helicopter flight and jet pack adventure?

For helicopter flight, safety precautions include wearing a seatbelt or harness, following the pilot's instructions, and avoiding any potential hazards. For jet pack adventure, safety precautions include wearing a helmet, receiving proper training, and following all safety protocols set by the company.

Can anyone participate in helicopter flight and jet pack adventure?

Most helicopter flight and jet pack adventure experiences have age and weight restrictions for safety reasons. It is important to check with the company beforehand to ensure you meet the requirements. Additionally, individuals with certain medical conditions may not be able to participate.

What are the benefits of helicopter flight and jet pack adventure?

Both helicopter flight and jet pack adventure offer unique and thrilling experiences. They allow individuals to see and experience the world from a different perspective, and can also provide a sense of freedom and adrenaline rush. They can also be a great way to challenge oneself and try something new.