Mr. Robot: A Fascinating and Incendiary Show

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Robot
In summary, the show seemed to focus too much on the minuscule plot developments and not enough on developing the characters. The "rethinking" of Evilcorp felt rushed and inconsistent with the previous season.
zoobyshoe
Have you been watching it? I've been finding it fascinating and incendiary.

It strikes me as the first show that addresses problems exclusive to people who are now in their twenties: the first generation pretty much raised from infancy in the marinade of the computer/cell phone age.

The main character, Elliot, is a severely introverted, alienated computer geek who works in computer security. He has superior hacking skills and routinely hacks everyone he encounters and keeps files on them. Sometimes he finds it necessary to use that info to destroy them.

When he saves a large corporation from a major attack, his life takes a strange turn. He's approached by the author of that attack, who admires his skill, and is invited to participate in a huge, world-shaking hack. The leader of that revolution calls himself, "Mr. Robot." And he becomes the monkey on Eliot's back.

However, hanging over the whole plot, is the fact Elliot is a drug user. He uses morphine to control his extreme social anxiety, and since we see the whole show from his perspective (he's the main character and narrator), there is no telling whether Mr. Robot and all the events surrounding Mr. Robot are part of an elaborate hallucinatory side effect of his drug use or not. That is: Elliot himself questions if they are real, but he can't tell.

Likes gracy
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this seems to be quite unique. I like the combination of computer hacking and delusional thinking reminiscent of the movie Beautiful Mind and the way Elliott connects to people by hacking them eliminating conversation.

When I hear new hacking terms I have to look them up. One was the RUDY attack which while knowing about DDOS I had never heard of RUDY.

Wired magazine wrote a review of the show talking about what they get right and what they get wrong:

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/mr-robot-fact-check/

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Enigman
jedishrfu said:
Yes, this seems to be quite unique. I like the combination of computer hacking and delusional thinking reminiscent of the movie Beautiful Mind and the way Elliott connects to people by hacking them eliminating conversation.
That's an interesting take. It never occurred to me hacking people was his way of connecting to them, but it fits with stuff that came out in episode 3 last night; his search for people's "bugs," including his own, as if people were essentially comparable to computer programs in his mind.

This was my favorite of the trailers:

That movement of Beethoven's 7th is perfect for Elliot.

zoobyshoe said:
When he saves a large corporation from a major attack, his life takes a strange turn. He's approached by the author of that attack, who admires his skill, and is invited to participate in a huge, world-shaking hack. The leader of that revolution calls himself, "Mr. Robot." And he becomes the monkey on Eliot's back.

Reminds me of the movie Swordfish - Travolta, Jackman.
Instead of being a drug user, the hacker has a daughter who he wants to see, but he is to stay "clean" from hacking to do so.

256bits said:
Reminds me of the movie Swordfish - Travolta, Jackman.
Instead of being a drug user, the hacker has a daughter who he wants to see, but he is to stay "clean" from hacking to do so.
I've seen Swordfish. Mr. Robot is very, very different in tone and texture. I wasn't reminded of that movie at all, despite the superficial premise overlap you mention.

What I've seen so far, I enjoyed greatly. The main character is incredibly watchable.
Looks like the show is trying to pull off a Fight Club for the modern age.

Last nights episode clarified A LOT. (finally)

JorisL said:
Last nights episode clarified A LOT. (finally)
I think it did the exact opposite. It created complete confusion. Elliot has either been laboring under severe amnesia in all episodes so far, or, he has just been fed with a slew of false memories.

In any event, the viewer has been stripped of any confidence in what might be real or what might be a creation of Elliott's troubled psyche. That's a bummer since I was starting to think everything was real after he kicked his morphine habit.

I got to say, I just love this show. Plays with your expectations, never cuts corners, and has got this great humanism about it. And it's gripping all the time.

Likes gracy and zoobyshoe
Heads up: It is July 13, 2016. Wednesday. Season #2 of Mr. Robot premieres tonight.

Likes Tosh5457, JorisL and edward
Care to share first impressions?

Bandersnatch said:
Care to share first impressions?
I'm disappointed. Most boring episode ever. Nothing happened. They could have compressed the minor plot developments that were spread out over an hour and a half into 15 minutes.

Also, I didn't like the way they "rethought" Evilcorp. At the end of last season they remained evil and confident, despite the hit. Now, all of a sudden, they're on the ropes? And this thing with Tyrell. It seemed pretty sure Evilcorp had buried him in the desert or sunk him with cement overshoes, but now maybe he's alive and safe in hiding?

I wasn't completely on board with the new season, until maybe half way through. Now I can say it's great, if a tonally different show. The first season had this idealistic and naive vibe. This one is subtly but decisively darker, ever so slowly descending into despair and paranoia.
There are also minor, tangential touches I love - how you can feel the technology to be almost contemporary, but just about in the future. Like those AI products casually appearing in the background. Reminds me of how the feeling of near future was unobtrusively achieved in 'Her'.

Bandersnatch said:
I wasn't completely on board with the new season, until maybe half way through. Now I can say it's great, if a tonally different show. The first season had this idealistic and naive vibe. This one is subtly but decisively darker, ever so slowly descending into despair and paranoia.
Yes, the first four or so episodes of season 2 were a big disappointment. Then it seemed to do a 180 and everything became interesting again. The tonal difference you notice I perceive as a radical change in focus: they have actually shifted from Eliot as the focal character to the FBI agent. I have no idea if they intended that or if it happened by accident as a result of her being sane, hence more easily identified with, but I find myself identifying with her problems, which are graspable, rather than Elliot's which are inexplicable and byzantine.

The blonde girl's journey from outsider victim to insider pragmatist is also of extreme interest. I'm now very eager to find out what happens with her new allegiance and where she goes overall.

1. What is Mr. Robot about?

Mr. Robot is a television show that follows the story of Elliot Alderson, a young computer programmer who becomes involved in a hacking group called "fsociety" and their mission to take down the corrupt corporation that Elliot works for.

2. Is Mr. Robot based on real events?

No, Mr. Robot is a fictional show. However, it does draw inspiration from real-life events and hacking culture, making it feel very realistic and relevant.

3. Who created Mr. Robot?

Mr. Robot was created by Sam Esmail, who also serves as the show's executive producer and head writer.

4. How many seasons of Mr. Robot are there?

There are four seasons of Mr. Robot, with a total of 45 episodes. The show concluded in December 2019.

5. What makes Mr. Robot a fascinating and incendiary show?

Mr. Robot explores themes such as mental illness, technology, power, and corruption in a thought-provoking and intense way. It also features complex and morally ambiguous characters, making it a captivating and unpredictable watch.