Mr/s Knowledgable!

  • Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date

Lisa!

Gold Member
601
90
Is it possible to be so knowledgable about all sorts of things? :rolleyes:
 
Have you watched Jeopardy?
 

Lisa!

Gold Member
601
90
What do you mean?
 
310
2
TheStatutoryApe said:
Have you watched Jeopardy?
That's trivia. Trivia is, by definition, not knowledge.
 
480
0
"He's a genius. A real genius... Why, Oppenheimer knows about everything. He can talk to you about anything you bring up. Well, not exactly. I guess there are a few things he doesn't know about. He doesn't know anything about sports."
 
164
0
Smurf said:
That's trivia. Trivia is, by definition, not knowledge.
I agree. I remember almost none of the facts I learned through school or uni, what I took away was ways of thinking, making deductions and conclusions. Trivia just reflects your memory.
 

honestrosewater

Gold Member
2,071
5
What's the difference between trivia and knowledge? Trivia is useless and knowledge is useful?
 

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,552
1,682
Lisa! said:
Is it possible to be so knowledgable about all sorts of things? :rolleyes:
Yes it is. Why do you ask?
 

dduardo

Staff Emeritus
1,894
3
knowledge implies understanding. Trivia is just facts.

For example, most people know who came up with e=mc^2, but have little or no knowledge of how it was derived.

Dictionary.com:

knowledge

1 a : awareness or understanding esp. of an act, a fact, or the truth
 
Last edited:
1,120
7
Some people will profess to know more then they do, while others really do know a lot.
I find that the ones who really know a lot, are more likely to tell you when they don't know something.
 

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,552
1,682
Lisa! said:
Use one's senses - sight, smell, feel (touch), hear/listen, taste.

Read, think, contemplate, introspect, meditate. Understand. Question. Hypothesize. Theorize. Test.

Learn.

Know when one is wrong.

Make mistakes. Correct mistakes.

How many things? Two, three, five, 10, a dozen.

Acquisition of knowledge takes time.
 

honestrosewater

Gold Member
2,071
5
Astronuc said:
Use one's senses - sight, smell, feel (touch), hear/listen, taste.

Read, think, contemplate, introspect, meditate. Understand. Question. Hypothesize. Theorize. Test.

Learn.

Know when one is wrong.

Make mistakes. Correct mistakes.

How many things? Two, three, five, 10, a dozen.

Acquisition of knowledge takes time.
How poetic. And great advice too. :approve:
I once read someone describe Shakespeare as 'a man on whom nothing was lost'. It was the first time that I heard the phrase, and it's been one of my favorites ever since. Be a (hu)man on whom nothing is lost. :smile:
 

Lisa!

Gold Member
601
90
Astronuc said:
Use one's senses - sight, smell, feel (touch), hear/listen, taste.

Read, think, contemplate, introspect, meditate. Understand. Question. Hypothesize. Theorize. Test.

Learn.

Know when one is wrong.

Make mistakes. Correct mistakes.

How many things? Two, three, five, 10, a dozen.

Acquisition of knowledge takes time.
Your suggestions are always useful. :smile:


why do you ask?
I see some people who jump into any discussion and some of them are really opinionated about what they say.For sure we can't be master in everything , but they think they are!Well you knw sometimes they commont on things that they have no experience about them.For example they commont on other countries' people.Although they never travel to that country, meet any person from that country or read any book or even watchany movie from that country! :bugeye:
 

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
18,552
1,682
Lisa! said:
I see some people who jump into any discussion and some of them are really opinionated about what they say.For sure we can't be master in everything , but they think they are!Well you knw sometimes they commont on things that they have no experience about them.For example they commont on other countries' people.Although they never travel to that country, meet any person from that country or read any book or even watchany movie from that country! :bugeye:
I see your point.

Yes, the phenomenon is called "freedom of expression". One is free to say whatever one wishes, as long as if conforms to guidelines and rules to which one agrees as part of accepting membership in PF. One can believe anything, rightly or wrongly, but it is a matter of belief or opinion. Hopefully those expressing opinions are well-informed, but sometimes that does not appear to be so.

One is also free to disagree and to express disagreement.

It would be nice if everyone were skilled in the art of disputation and rhetoric. Alas, in the modern world, this seems a lost art. :frown:
 

Related Threads for: Mr/s Knowledgable!

  • Posted
Replies
16
Views
2K
Replies
4
Views
330
  • Posted
Replies
15
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
22
Views
3K
  • Posted
2
Replies
26
Views
5K
  • Posted
Replies
13
Views
1K
  • Posted
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Posted
Replies
17
Views
5K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top