Mr/s Knowledgable - Possibility of All-Round Knowledge?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, the phenomenon is called "freedom of expression". One is free to say whatever one wishes, as long as if conforms to guidelines and rules to which one agrees as part of accepting membership in PF. One can believe anything, rightly or wrongly, but it is a matter of belief or opinion. Hopefully those expressing opinions are well-informed, but sometimes that does not appear to be so.One is also free to disagree and to express disagreement.It would be nice if everyone were skilled in the art of disputation and rhetoric. Alas, in the modern world, this seems a lost art.
Lisa!
Gold Member
Is it possible to be so knowledgeable about all sorts of things? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you watched Jeopardy?

What do you mean?

TheStatutoryApe said:
Have you watched Jeopardy?
That's trivia. Trivia is, by definition, not knowledge.

"He's a genius. A real genius... Why, Oppenheimer knows about everything. He can talk to you about anything you bring up. Well, not exactly. I guess there are a few things he doesn't know about. He doesn't know anything about sports."

Smurf said:
That's trivia. Trivia is, by definition, not knowledge.

I agree. I remember almost none of the facts I learned through school or uni, what I took away was ways of thinking, making deductions and conclusions. Trivia just reflects your memory.

What's the difference between trivia and knowledge? Trivia is useless and knowledge is useful?

Lisa! said:
Is it possible to be so knowledgeable about all sorts of things? :rolleyes:
Yes it is. Why do you ask?

knowledge implies understanding. Trivia is just facts.

For example, most people know who came up with e=mc^2, but have little or no knowledge of how it was derived.

Dictionary.com:

knowledge

1 a : awareness or understanding esp. of an act, a fact, or the truth

Last edited:
Some people will profess to know more then they do, while others really do know a lot.
I find that the ones who really know a lot, are more likely to tell you when they don't know something.

Astronuc said:
Yes it is.

How?

Why do you ask?
I'll tell you later. :smile:

Lisa! said:
How?

Use one's senses - sight, smell, feel (touch), hear/listen, taste.

Read, think, contemplate, introspect, meditate. Understand. Question. Hypothesize. Theorize. Test.

Learn.

Know when one is wrong.

Make mistakes. Correct mistakes.

How many things? Two, three, five, 10, a dozen.

Acquisition of knowledge takes time.

Astronuc said:

Read, think, contemplate, introspect, meditate. Understand. Question. Hypothesize. Theorize. Test.

Learn.

Know when one is wrong.

How poetic. And great advice too. :approve:
I once read someone describe Shakespeare as 'a man on whom nothing was lost'. It was the first time that I heard the phrase, and it's been one of my favorites ever since. Be a (hu)man on whom nothing is lost. :smile:

Astronuc said:

Learn.

Know when one is wrong.

Your suggestions are always useful. :smile:

why do you ask?
I see some people who jump into any discussion and some of them are really opinionated about what they say.For sure we can't be master in everything , but they think they are!Well you knw sometimes they commont on things that they have no experience about them.For example they commont on other countries' people.Although they never travel to that country, meet any person from that country or read any book or even watchany movie from that country! :bugeye:

Lisa! said:
I see some people who jump into any discussion and some of them are really opinionated about what they say.For sure we can't be master in everything , but they think they are!Well you knw sometimes they commont on things that they have no experience about them.For example they commont on other countries' people.Although they never travel to that country, meet any person from that country or read any book or even watchany movie from that country! :bugeye:
I see your point.

Yes, the phenomenon is called "freedom of expression". One is free to say whatever one wishes, as long as if conforms to guidelines and rules to which one agrees as part of accepting membership in PF. One can believe anything, rightly or wrongly, but it is a matter of belief or opinion. Hopefully those expressing opinions are well-informed, but sometimes that does not appear to be so.

One is also free to disagree and to express disagreement.

It would be nice if everyone were skilled in the art of disputation and rhetoric. Alas, in the modern world, this seems a lost art. :frown:

1. What does "all-round knowledge" mean?

"All-round knowledge" refers to having a broad and comprehensive understanding of a wide range of topics and subjects, rather than being an expert in just one specific area.

2. Is it possible for someone to have all-round knowledge?

It is highly unlikely for someone to have complete and perfect knowledge in all areas, as knowledge is constantly evolving and expanding. However, it is possible for someone to have a well-rounded and extensive understanding of many different subjects.

3. Can all-round knowledge be acquired through education?

Education can certainly contribute to someone's all-round knowledge, as it exposes them to various subjects and helps develop critical thinking skills. However, true all-round knowledge also requires curiosity, self-learning, and continuous learning throughout life.

4. What are the benefits of having all-round knowledge?

Having all-round knowledge can help individuals make informed decisions and have a better understanding of the world around them. It can also aid in problem-solving, creativity, and adaptability.

5. How can someone strive for all-round knowledge?

One can strive for all-round knowledge by actively seeking out new information and learning opportunities, staying curious and open-minded, and continuously expanding their knowledge in various areas. Engaging in discussions, reading, and traveling can also help broaden one's perspective and understanding of different subjects.