What is the philosophical meaning behind Mr. Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan?

• Thread starter chuong
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the philosophical meaning behind the song "Mr. Tambourine Man" by Bob Dylan. The speaker initially thought the song was about drugs, but Dylan himself stated otherwise. They suggest that the song could be about transcendence and enlightenment, but also mention that different people can interpret it in various ways. The conversation also includes a mention of William Shatner's version of the song and a link to a lecture on it. Finally, someone states that the song is a metaphor for buying drugs at a basic level.
chuong
My english professor challenged the class to write an explication paper on Mr. Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan. I don't know if this even falls under "Philosophy," but after listening to the song 10-15 times, I think there's a philosophical meaning behind it...

Hey! Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me,
I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to.
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come followin' you.

Though I know that evenin's empire has returned into sand,
Vanished from my hand,
Left me blindly here to stand but still not sleeping.
My weariness amazes me, I'm branded on my feet,
I have no one to meet
And the ancient empty street's too dead for dreaming.

Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship,
My senses have been stripped, my hands can't feel to grip,
My toes too numb to step, wait only for my boot heels
To be wanderin'.
I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade
Into my own parade, cast your dancing spell my way,
I promise to go under it.

Though you might hear laughin', spinnin', swingin' madly across the sun,
It's not aimed at anyone, it's just escapin' on the run
And but for the sky there are no fences facin'.
And if you hear vague traces of skippin' reels of rhyme
To your tambourine in time, it's just a ragged clown behind,
I wouldn't pay it any mind, it's just a shadow you're
Seein' that he's chasing.

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

At first, I thought, as most people would think, that the song was about drugs, but I found out that Dylan himself said that the song has nothing to do with drugs. Could this song be about transendence and enlightenment? I'm stuck...

Thanks for any help...

Chuong

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it could be about almost anything. Different people can listen to the same song and extract different meanings from it. That's why a lot of artists don't like to reveal what they actually wrote the song about... they leave it open to interpretation so different people can find their own meaning to the song that relates to their life somehow.

That said, I'm sure most of the people in your class will come up with the "drug" meaning, so I would try to be a little more creative. The transendence and enlightenment meaning you mentioned would work well.

I'm not trying to derail this thread, but you all should know- William Shatner
(yes, Capt. Kirk) sings a version of this song and I almost ended up in the
hospital for laughing too hard when I heard it. I special-ordered the CD as soon as I could.

The time it was made, the American youth were questioning everything, so many political and social things didn't make sense. The adults could no longer answer the questions we had.
America had lost the innocents of the 1950's and was zooming into the 21 century with seemingly no direction or control.
And once you saw all the insanity around you, you had to figure out some kind of perspective. So you looked inward,to find some type of balance, and even that became overwhelming and mentally weary to some.
To me that is what the song was about.

Are you a student at Cal Poly? I found a link to a lecture on this song from an English class there in 1999. It could give you some ideas, without giving you anything to plagiarize:

http://cla.calpoly.edu/~smarx/courses/253/Dylan/Dylan.html

Last edited by a moderator:
basically its a metaphor for buying drugs

tambourine man = drug dealer

obviously its more in depth and meaningful than that but on the most basic below the surface level that's it.

What is the philosophical meaning behind Mr. Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan?

The philosophical meaning behind Mr. Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan is a subject of much debate and interpretation. However, there are a few common themes that are often discussed:

1. Is Mr. Tambourine Man a metaphor for something else?

Yes, many interpret Mr. Tambourine Man as a metaphor for a spiritual or philosophical guide who can help individuals escape the mundane realities of daily life and enter into a more mystical realm.

2. What is the significance of the line "Take me on a trip upon your magic swirling ship"?

This line is often interpreted as a desire to escape the constraints of everyday life and explore new and unknown possibilities. It can also be seen as a call for guidance and enlightenment from a higher power.

3. How does the repetition of the phrase "Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man" contribute to the song's meaning?

The repetition of this phrase can be seen as a plea for help or guidance from the titular character, emphasizing the speaker's desire to escape their current reality and enter into a more transcendent state of mind.

4. What does the line "The smoke rings of my mind" symbolize?

This line can be interpreted in a few different ways. Some see it as a reference to drug use and the altered state of mind that can come with it. Others view it as a metaphor for the confusion and chaos of the human mind.

5. How does the song's chorus tie into its overall philosophical message?

The chorus, with its iconic line "Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me," can be seen as a request for guidance and inspiration from a higher power. It reflects the speaker's desire to escape their current reality and find meaning and purpose in life.