Reliving the Past: Remembering Mr. Wizard's Show

• Thread starter Chrono
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the Science Channel playing old science shows, particularly "Mr. Wizard", and how it was ahead of its time. Many participants in the conversation remembered watching the show and learning a lot from it. They also discussed other science shows like Beakman's World and Bill Nye, and how they are different from Mr. Wizard's straightforward approach. Some participants expressed their nostalgia for the show and its educational value.
Chrono
I was watching the Science Channel tonight and they're playing old science shows. Tonight it was "Watch Mr. Wizard". I watched a couple of episodes and thought, "This show was ahead of its time." I remember watching, years ago, the last bit of the Mr. Wizard shows, when he was older. Do y'all remember watching this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a show on TV at like 4:30 in the morning when I was really young that I always used to wake up and watch. It was a show that ran all sorts of little science experiments and it was really neat. I don't remember what it was called, though...

For some reason "Mr. Wizard" reminded me of that.

cookiemonster

Since I'm older than Evo (who's older than dirt) I can tell you that I remember watching Mr. Wizard when he was YOUNG! :surprise: :biggrin: :eek:

I miss Mr. Wizard! I still remember things from that show!

I remember for instance how he showed that when we lay down, we get taller. He also showed why hollow tubes are stronger than solid ones with respect to bending.

I learned so much from that show!

There is absolutely nothing on television anymore that even compares to what i got from that show.

I also remember when they demostrated walkie-talkies.

And when he projected a skeleton over his body to make it look like you were looking through his body.

Or when he demostrated telescopes.

And this was a decade and a half ago that I remember this from! I don't remember ANYTHING from that period with any kind of detail, but I remember Mr. Wizard!

If Evo is older then dirt... What does that make me?

I also recall Mr Wizard when he was young, didn't realize it at the time. Great show.

Integral said:
If Evo is older then dirt... What does that make me?
Two answers come to mind here. I like them both. You pick the one you like the best: :wink:

Ever heard of a guy named Methuselah? :biggrin:
Ever heard of the Big Bang? :surprise:

Integral perhaps knows Adam.

HEY!
SciFi channel is showing a whole bunch of Mr. Wizards this morning! Maybe all weekend, too?

Integral could be Santa Claus, he has been around forever. Do you have a beard Integral? I have been a good boy so far this year.

http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/santa.JPG

LoL, I resemble that remark!

Methusala and I used to have to dodge around Adam, the street bully, to get to the TV set. We had trouble with reception though, 'cus the Rabbitears kept hopping off!

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG! Can i see your Reindeer?? I am so excited!

Integral said:
http://home.comcast.net/~rossgr1/santa.JPG

LoL, I resemble that remark!

Methusala and I used to have to dodge around Adam, the street bully, to get to the TV set. We had trouble with reception though, 'cus the Rabbitears kept hopping off!
SANTA!
XXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOO

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
How do Rabbitears hop?

Tsunami said:
How do Rabbitears hop?
Back then they were still attached to rabbits?

Integral, you stil take my breath away. :approve: When are you going to finish that time machine so we can go back 20 years? :smile:

There was a show about 8 years ago(?) called Beakman's World that was really great.

I remember that show. It WAS good...

Evo,
You are too kind, or very sarcastic.~^ 20yrs sounds about right, ... now were did I put that flux capacitor?

I also recall Beakman's world, good science with humor!

Integral, you handsome devil!

Integral, you old coot---you're as grey as I am! :smile:

And I also remember Mr Wizard and Beakman. Great stuff!

I don't remember Mr. Wizard but I do remember Beakman's World with that big rat and those pinguins at the end of the show.

Mr. Wizard was great because it was just the science. Just the experiment. Today, Bill Nye and Beakman's World and other kids' science programs are so encumbered by the distracting "wacky act" they have to put on to make science "fun."

Bill Nye was cool. I enjoyed watching his shows. Although, he only has just a few.

I like Bill Nye too. I just think it's sad that a show like Mr. Wizard's wouldn't fly these days because it's not "exciting enough." You can't just have the old guy and his assistant Timmy demonstrating cool science these days. It has to be some zany charicature of a scientist bouncing off the walls with crazy visual gags and sound effects.

And even at that, I don't think Bill Nye is even on the air anymore with new episodes. So where are kids supposed to learn that you can eat an apple while standing on your head, or that you can only fold a piece of paper in half about seven times before it's too thick to fold, no matter how large the paper is?

You think Mr. Wizard would be considered "Reality TV"?

1. What was Mr. Wizard's Show?

Mr. Wizard's Show was a popular science television program that aired from 1951 to 1965, hosted by scientist and educator Don Herbert. The show aimed to educate and entertain children by demonstrating scientific experiments and explaining scientific concepts in a fun and interactive way.

2. Why is "Reliving the Past: Remembering Mr. Wizard's Show" an important topic?

"Reliving the Past: Remembering Mr. Wizard's Show" is an important topic because the show had a significant impact on the field of science education and inspired many children to pursue careers in science. It also holds nostalgic value for those who grew up watching the show and serves as a reminder of the importance of making science accessible and engaging for young audiences.

3. What made Mr. Wizard's Show unique compared to other science programs?

Mr. Wizard's Show was unique because it featured real-life experiments and demonstrations rather than just talking about scientific concepts. Don Herbert also had a charismatic and engaging style of teaching that made science fun and easy to understand for children.

4. How did Mr. Wizard's Show impact the world of science education?

Mr. Wizard's Show had a significant impact on the world of science education by making science more accessible and engaging for children. It popularized the use of hands-on experiments and demonstrations to teach scientific concepts, and many educators credit the show for inspiring them to pursue careers in science.

5. Is there a way to watch old episodes of Mr. Wizard's Show?

Yes, there are several ways to watch old episodes of Mr. Wizard's Show. Some episodes are available on streaming platforms such as YouTube and Amazon Prime Video. The full series is also available on DVD. Additionally, some public libraries may have copies of the show available for borrowing.