Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mr Wizard

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If we have any members who grew up with Mr. Wizard and who might be interested, it was just announced that the good eighty years old Wizard has agreed to do an interview on Coast to Coast AM. I'll post a link to this thread when they announce the day and time.
    http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/W/htmlW/watchmrwiz/watchmrwiz.htm

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

I had a difficult childhood. Back in the day, Mr. Wizard not only taught science, he also coined the phrase 'Trizzle, trazzle, truzzle trome...'

4. Apr 19, 2005 #3
    I grew up where TV reception was limited. So at first I thought you were referring to Danger's little Danger. Seriously though, I have heard of the show, and I heard there was consideration of bringing it back in a modern way. I would be interested to check it out.

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In part at least, Bill Nye, Beakman's World, Nova etc continued the tradition. Back then there was nothing like these shows. In fact, I think Mr Wizard may have pioneered the very idea of a program dedicated to science and education.

6. Apr 19, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, how'd I get involved in this? :confused:

7. Apr 19, 2005 #6

SOS2008

Gold Member

I still love Nova! Sesame Street also made education more fun, and for very young children.

Persistence?

8. Apr 19, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

My own fault, I guess... :frown:

9. Apr 19, 2005 #8
    I only saw the show a few times, but mr wizard actually came to my middle school. Or maybe it wasn't him, but the show or something.... it was mr wizard though, i remember it well. It was a whole school assembly, and everyone was really mad cause we thought it was a lame thing, and the people walk onto stage and everyone starts like being jerks and cursing and being obnoxious. Then they setup the first experiment, and they're like "BLAH BLAH BLAH..." i forget what it was, but right after it, i was like "COOL!" really loud, and no one else said anything. I got in SO much trouble. Since i was so loud and the only one, the asst principal knew exactly who said it, and she pulled me out of the auditorium in front of everyone, and then yelled at me in the hallway, and refused to let me watch the rest of the show... it was so embarassing....

10. Apr 19, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

There shouldn't be a 't' on that.
    It sounds as if you had the only proper reaction in the entire crowd. That ass principal should be drowned in an unflushed toilet. :grumpy:

11. Apr 19, 2005 #10
    I seem to remember watching Mr. Wizard as a child. In the 70's on Saturday afternoons I think somewhere after Fat Albert and Picture Page. Can't remember exactly as I was only a few years old, but there was a science show that I used to watch at that age. When did Mr. Wizard go off the air?

12. Apr 26, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay here is your notice. Mr Wizard will be on Coast to Coast AM in...one minute.
    http://www.coasttocoastam.com/

Sorry, I never saw it coming... The streaming audio will be available for 60 days.

13. Apr 26, 2005 #12

JamesU

Gold Member

Was he the guy who brought kids in and they pretended like they weren't bored? :rolleyes:

14. Apr 26, 2005 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are a lot of people who loved Mr. Wizard.

15. Apr 26, 2005 #14

JamesU

Gold Member

I liked it, but it seems a little gay for today's TV

16. Apr 26, 2005 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Everyone was gay back then.

17. Apr 26, 2005 #16
    Then how come there are younger generations? :confused: :tongue2:

18. Apr 26, 2005 #17

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I thought you meant Mr. Wizard, who was always rescuing Tutor Turtle, on the Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle. :biggrin:

Of course, I enjoyed Mr. Peabody and his pet boy Sherman. :biggrin:

19. Apr 26, 2005 #18
    LOL

i used to watch that show when i was little lmao. i can barely remember it though, i think the only one i remember was when they did rockets in a coke bottle using paper towels and baking soda/vinegar or something like that. i think he also came to my elementary school one time and did some kind of show for us

20. Apr 26, 2005 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Are you sure that wasn't Michael Jackson?

21. Apr 26, 2005 #20

JamesU

Gold Member

I'm pretty sure you could tell michael jackson from an old guy that does science experiments. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?