Can MRI Fringe Fields be Mapped in a 3D Space?

In summary: The manufacturers of MRI machines are required to publish various field maps in their official documentation. Why don't you just use the published maps?The published maps are just safe zones around the machine. I am going to use fringe field for navigation purpose and I need to have a more exact map of magnetic field in proximity of machine. the gradient in this region is bigger than inside the machine and also we have more freedom there.They publish quite detailed plots of the field, the field gradient, and sometimes other quantities also.
arashazizi
Hello everybody, I am working on a project that require to have map of an MRI machine fringe field in 3d space. I basic idea is to measur it in one plane parallel to radius of machine and then by assuming that field is axissymetric make my map. does anybody have any idea on doing that or on my work?

Physics news on Phys.org
The manufacturers of MRI machines are required to publish various field maps in their official documentation. Why don't you just use the published maps?

Likes arashazizi
Thanks, but they just publish safe zone around machine and in Cartesian plans. I am going to use fringe field for navigation purpose and I need to have a more exact map of magnetic field in proximity of machine. the gradient in this region is bigger than inside the machine and also we have more freedom there.

They publish quite detailed plots of the field, the field gradient, and sometimes other quantities also.

The distance of the 5 Gauss line is often published in the marketing material. I think that is what you are talking about, but the actual system documentation and manuals contain much more detailed maps.

Look for the MRI Compatibility Data portion of the manual.

Likes arashazizi
Why would you think the fringe field is axisymmetric when the MIR machine is not - for example, it is supported on the bottom, but not on the top. Furthermore, if you are going to the trouble of measuring the field, why not measure it everywhere?

Likes arashazizi
The main field producing elements are axisymmetric, so it is a pretty good approximation. But you are right that there are slight deviations from axisymmetric. Particularly if the room has steel structural members.

Likes arashazizi
Inside the bore, the symmetry is good. But outside, all bets are off. Particularly if there is little or no iron for the return flux (common in these magnets) and, like you say, something ferrous in the room.

If you've ever mapped a magnet, you'll know that the vast majority of the time is in setup. Once you get going, it's pretty quick - so more points is the way to go for sure.

Likes arashazizi
I do agree with that. I would either use the published plots or I would do a full mapping.

Likes arashazizi
Your comments made my way more clear. I appreciate your guidance.

arashazizi said:
Hello everybody, I am working on a project that require to have map of an MRI machine fringe field in 3d space. I basic idea is to measur it in one plane parallel to radius of machine and then by assuming that field is axissymetric make my map. does anybody have any idea on doing that or on my work?

I'm confused- are you asking how to measure the magnetic field in a plane, or are you asking how to make the planar measurement axisymmetric?

My aim is to have a spatial measurement of fringe magnetic field in a 1^3 cubic space. If I want to have a 1 cm resolution I would have to take 10^3 measurement on exact points. I believe simulation does not work hear because geometry and all sources of uncertainty. I thought that if I take measures in a plane and then extend it to a cylindrical space I would have the map but distortion and lots of cables and other stuff around the machine make this assumption wrong.

1. What is MRI fringe field mapping?

MRI fringe field mapping is a technique used to measure and map the magnetic field outside of the main bore of an MRI machine. This field, also known as the fringe field, extends several meters from the machine and can have an impact on nearby objects and individuals.

2. Why is MRI fringe field mapping important?

MRI fringe field mapping is important because it allows for the assessment and management of potential safety risks associated with the fringe field. It also helps to ensure that the MRI machine is functioning properly and producing accurate images.

3. How is MRI fringe field mapping performed?

MRI fringe field mapping is typically performed using a specialized probe, called a Hall probe, that is placed at various locations around the MRI machine to measure the strength and direction of the fringe field. The data collected from the probe is then used to create a map of the fringe field.

4. What factors can affect the strength of the MRI fringe field?

The strength of the MRI fringe field can be affected by a number of factors, including the strength of the main magnetic field of the MRI machine, the distance from the machine, and the type and orientation of nearby objects. Additionally, the strength of the fringe field can vary depending on the specific MRI machine and its settings.

5. How is the data from MRI fringe field mapping used?

The data collected from MRI fringe field mapping is used to assess the potential safety risks of the fringe field and to ensure that the MRI machine is functioning properly. This information can also be used to make adjustments to the MRI machine and its surroundings to minimize any potential risks.