1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MRI signal intensity

1. Dec 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We will make a Spin-Echo experiment, and we know [tex]\rho_{w}, T1_{w},T2_{w}, \rho_{g},T1_{g},T2_{g}[/tex], where T1 and T2 are relaxation time,[tex]\rho[/tex] is a proton density, and g mean gray matter, w mean white matter.
    We search TR and TE, TR is a repetition time, TE is an echo time. We need this two time define, and be the different of signal intensity biggest. Signal intensity: [tex]SI=\rho\left(1-e^{-\frac{TR-TE}{T1}}\right)e^{-\frac{TE}{T2}}[/tex]
    also we have two equation
    [tex]SI_{w}=\rho_{w}\left(1-e^{-\frac{TR-TE}{T1_{w}}}\right)e^{-\frac{TE}{T2_{w}}}[/tex] and
    [tex]SI_{g}=\rho_{g}\left(1-e^{-\frac{TR-TE}{T1_{g}}}\right)e^{-\frac{TE}{T2_{g}}}[/tex]
    and I don't know, what should I do, I divide or subtract the two equation. And after this operation we make a partial derivation:
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial TR}f=0[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial TE}f=0[/tex]
    Is this place a minimum or maximum place?
    Also my question is, divide I or subtract the two equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you presumably want to differentiate grey and white matter, you want the biggest ratio of the two signals--so you divide the two equations.

The classic way to tell whether you have found a minimum or maximum is to then evaluate the 2nd derivative at the value of extremum that you found from the 1st. If the 2nd derivative is positive it's a minimum, negative = max, 0 = inflection point. Your text, it probably has additional info on extrema and 2nd derivatives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?