Applying to PhD Programs after MS - Easy or Hard?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of applying to PhD programs and the advantages and disadvantages of doing an MS before a PhD. The speakers mention the importance of good grades and research experience, as well as the possibility of repeating courses if transferring from an MS to a PhD program. They also discuss the difficulty of getting funding as an MS student and the possibility of getting an assistantship. One speaker mentions the option of applying for a PhD and then deciding to get an MS instead, while another points out that many schools allow students to receive an MS in route to a PhD.
arunma
I have a question on applying to PhD programs. If an MS student who received good grades in graduate school applies to a PhD program, how easy is it to get in versus applying straight to a PhD program after getting a BS? If an MS student passes the PhD qualifying exam, does this guarantee admission into a PhD program, or is there still some subjective competition involved?

I'm asking because I recently graduated college, and I've applied to both MS and PhD programs. I've been admitted into an MS program so far (which has some great research opportunities), which is why I'm starting to think about this. Anyway, I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has experience here. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Come on...anybody?

sorry I can't answer you're question since I am also currently applying to grad school. I was just curious whether or not you have to pay your way for your MS or did you get an assistantship?

If you go strictly the MS route first and then apply to PhD, they will probably see that you can handle graduate level work and so that would certainly be an advantage. If you plan to apply to a PhD after finishing the MS though, don't be surprised if you'll have to repeat a number of courses. I've heard transferring credits can be difficult. Of course, if you apply to a PhD program at the same school as your MS, I imagine most if not all would transfer.

Good luck!

edit
Also, as hinted in the post above, it can be difficult for MS students to get funding. Its definitely something to consider.

Last edited:
At many schools a masters is considered a consolation prize...Apply for the PhD then if you want to get out, leave.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Mororvia said:
If you go strictly the MS route first and then apply to PhD, they will probably see that you can handle graduate level work and so that would certainly be an advantage. If you plan to apply to a PhD after finishing the MS though, don't be surprised if you'll have to repeat a number of courses. I've heard transferring credits can be difficult. Of course, if you apply to a PhD program at the same school as your MS, I imagine most if not all would transfer.

I see. Perhaps I can ask a more specific question as well. The department I've applied to has said that after completing the MS program, I can take the PhD qualifying exam for other schools. Assuming I pass this test, does this more or less guarantee admission, or is it still competetive? As I said I've also applied directly to PhD programs. But the advantage is that the MS program I've applied to is with a rather small department, and it is much easier to get involved in research early on (in fact they've already offered me summer funding for this year). At the same time, my ultimate objective is a PhD, so I'm not sure what the best move is here.

When I do a PhD, it'll be at a different campus of the same school. Even so, I wouldn't mind if I had to retake a few classes, a few GPA boosters and extra review can't hurt.

imastud said:
sorry I can't answer you're question since I am also currently applying to grad school. I was just curious whether or not you have to pay your way for your MS or did you get an assistantship?

Nope, you don't have to pay your own way. This department offers TAs and RAs, but I'm not sure about fellowships. Getting a TA or RA waives your tuition, you also get money and health/dental insurance. They've given me a TA. I'm not sure how much I get paid (since they're sending the details by snail mail). From what I've seen, a typical stipend in the midwest is $17,000/year. Depending on where you go, they adjust it according to cost of living. I have a friend who applied to a math program at NYU, and they're offering $30,000/year.

A related question... is it possible to apply for a PhD program and then when you get there decide to get an MS instead?

arunma said:
I see. Perhaps I can ask a more specific question as well. The department I've applied to has said that after completing the MS program, I can take the PhD qualifying exam for other schools. Assuming I pass this test, does this more or less guarantee admission, or is it still competetive? As I said I've also applied directly to PhD programs. But the advantage is that the MS program I've applied to is with a rather small department, and it is much easier to get involved in research early on (in fact they've already offered me summer funding for this year). At the same time, my ultimate objective is a PhD, so I'm not sure what the best move is here.

I don't know your exact details obviously but I would imagine that they mean that once you complete the MS and get accepted at another school, you'd take their qualifier as soon as possible. I don't think you get to take other schools qualifiers before getting accepted. When it comes down to it, the first two years of a PhD and a MS are basically the same classwork. If you're going to do the PhD at the same school, why not just apply to the PhD directly?

mathlete said:
A related question... is it possible to apply for a PhD program and then when you get there decide to get an MS instead?

Many schools will allow you to receive an MS in route to a PhD. It provides people who, for whatever reason, don't wish to continue to the PhD something for their work.

mathlete said:

If they offer a masters, you have that option. Apply for the PhD, work on it, if you decide to leave...

1. Is it necessary to have a Master's degree before applying to PhD programs?

Yes, most PhD programs require applicants to have a Master's degree before applying. This shows that the applicant has a strong foundation in their field of study and is prepared for the rigorous research and coursework involved in a PhD program.

2. How competitive are PhD programs after completing a Master's degree?

The competitiveness of PhD programs can vary depending on the field of study and the specific program. However, in general, PhD programs tend to be highly competitive and have a low acceptance rate. It is important for applicants to have a strong academic background and relevant research experience to increase their chances of being accepted.

3. Can I apply to multiple PhD programs at once?

Yes, it is common for applicants to apply to multiple PhD programs at once. However, it is important to carefully research each program and tailor your application to fit the specific requirements and research interests of each program.

4. What are some key factors that PhD programs look for in applicants?

PhD programs typically look for applicants with a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and a clear research interest that aligns with the program's focus. They also consider factors such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, and standardized test scores.

5. Are there any specific requirements or qualifications for international applicants?

Yes, international applicants may have additional requirements such as proficiency in English, visa requirements, and transcript evaluations. It is important for international applicants to carefully review the application requirements for each program they are interested in to ensure they meet all necessary qualifications.