Ms Dos BACKUP and RESTORE commands

• Thread starter The Bob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dos
In summary, The Bob is seeking help with using the DOS backup and restore commands, but has been unsuccessful in his attempts. Warren suggests using a more modern, user-friendly solution and recommends Winrar as a command-line utility that can fit on a floppy disk. If The Bob wishes to continue working with backup and restore, Warren provides links to helpful resources on the Easydos website. The conversation ends with The Bob expressing gratitude for the suggestion.
The Bob
I don't know if there is a thread with help on DOS but I am trying to find out how to use the BACKUP and RESTORE commands properly as I have tried to use them and have failed on a number of tries.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is there any reason you are constrained to using these archaic programs? You might be better off using a more modern, easy-to-use freeware solution.

- Warren

chroot said:
Is there any reason you are constrained to using these archaic programs? You might be better off using a more modern, easy-to-use freeware solution.

- Warren
Could you please, then, suggest one for a PC with Windows 98, only a floppy disk drive and no internet?

Thanks.

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. What is the difference between the BACKUP and RESTORE commands in MS DOS?

BACKUP and RESTORE are two separate commands in MS DOS that serve different purposes. The BACKUP command is used to create a copy of important files or entire disk drives, while the RESTORE command is used to retrieve those files or disk images from the backup and restore them to their original location.

2. How do I use the BACKUP and RESTORE commands in MS DOS?

To use the BACKUP command, you must first specify the files or directories you want to back up, as well as the location where you want to save the backup. The syntax for the BACKUP command is BACKUP [source] [destination]. To use the RESTORE command, you must specify the location of the backup and the location where you want to restore the files. The syntax for the RESTORE command is RESTORE [source] [destination].

3. Can I schedule automatic backups using the BACKUP command in MS DOS?

Yes, the BACKUP command allows you to schedule automatic backups by using the /S switch. This will create a scheduled backup that will run at the specified time and interval. You can also use the /M switch to include only files that have been modified since the last backup.

4. Are there any limitations to the size of files that can be backed up using the BACKUP command?

Yes, the BACKUP command in MS DOS has a file size limit of 2 GB. This means that any files larger than 2 GB will not be included in the backup. However, you can use the /A switch to ignore file size limits and include all files in the backup.

5. Can I restore specific files or folders from a backup using the RESTORE command?

Yes, the RESTORE command allows you to specify which files or folders you want to restore from the backup. You can use the /P switch to select specific files or folders, or use the /A switch to restore all files and folders from the backup.