1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MS EE (solid state devices) vs. Ph.D. In condensed matter theory

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    I'm an electronics and communication engineering major from india and will be applying this fall for graduate school in 2014 fall.

I was really interested in theoretical physics uptil now (cosmology, strings, hep etc.) and still am but given the abysmal employability of these areas of study, i have decided to study them on my own and not pursue them in grad. School.

Something, that does interest me and that i am currently working on is semiconductor physics and the applications of quantum mechanics.

Would an MS in EE , with a focus on solid state devices or a phd in condensed matter theory, be a better choice ?

I basically want a degree and an eduction that is as close to physics as possible, so that i can retain interest in it and which at the same time, has great job prospects.
    Im trying to shoot for the best of both worlds.

I know that an MS in EE would be a safer choice as far as job scope is concerned, but if the job opportunities after a phd in CMP aren't that bad either, i might want to go for a PhD in CMP instead.

Also, what kind of a job scenario am i looking at after a PhD in EE ?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted