1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MS in applied statistics

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    I was recently accepted into a program at Western Michigan with this title. I was wondering if anyone here happened to have any personal experience, or knew someone who was in a program like this. Here's the program description.

My main concern is, will people treat me as though I'm overqualified if I obtain this graduate degree? I have a bachelors with a concentration in mathematics, but I left with a mediocre gpa (3.1), almost zero programming skill and no solid recommendations. As such, most positions open to me in business are sales oriented. I'm hoping a program like this can bring me some much needed technical knowledge.

I'm hoping to have the opportunity to attend, perform well, and maybe look for some relevant internships/positions. Does anyone have any thoughts? Is this degree generally seen as "useful?" Do most people who attend these programs find them useful?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2
    You know, I never heard of a masters hurting you really. I think you can find many people who find use in applied statistics. The ability to do statistics accurately and well is a valuable skill and getting a MS in it wouldn't hurt you.

I do suggest you take time to learn programming, and get some good recommendations and maybe an internship. I think with all those, plus a masters, you'll be doing well for yourself.
  4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
    this degree is very typical statistics master degree. Indeed, PhDs are the people who should worry about overqualified. With a master degree in statistics, there is a big jump in opportunity and expected salary. If there is no other concern, you should pursue a master degree in stat.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?