1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ms in computer science

1. Aug 20, 2012 #1
    hii iam rithish iam from india living in the city of chennai .actually i have finished b.e(bachelor of engineering) in india similiar to bs in usa.
    now i am planning for doing Ms in arizona usa.But b.e(bachelor of engineering) in india is very low its quality is very low in standard.because we dont have a practical experience. actually my area of interests is developing web applications and networking applications and window applications.but now only i started reading c and c++.Now my question is wat is the prequesite knowledge that i should have for doing Ms in computer science usa.What r the subjects and things that should be neccesarily needed.iam planning to do Ms in computer science. please help me i expect ur reply soon.but now only i started reading c and c++ and new to programming.so please tell me in which area i should concentrate mainly for studying Ms in computer science that will make me easier to study.iam expecting ur reply soon thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2012 #2
    hello please some one reply

4. Aug 21, 2012 #3
    Please clean up your first post by using better grammar, capitalization and spelling. Also put things into paragraphs. As it is now, your post is very difficult to read.

I know the answers, but if you're too lazy to fix your writing, I'll be too lazy to post.

5. Aug 22, 2012 #4
    You should check the websites of the facilities and degree programs that you're interested in in the US. They all have the information you need regarding admission and prerequisites.

6. Aug 24, 2012 #5
    I think it would be tough to enter a US masters program in computer science without at least having knowledge of data structures and algorithm analysis. You need to learn lists, stacks, queues, trees, heaps, hash tables, etc, as well as how to analyze an algorithm's "running time" based on the size of its inputs. I also personally think having some sense of computer architecture is important as well, but I'm not sure how some schools treat things. The data structures and algorithms stuff is really important though because everything basically relies on it (databases, OS, artificial intelligence, info retrieval, etc).

These things are things where people typically want some formal coursework though, not just stuff you've done yourself. Unless you can prove you have that knowledge in some standardized way.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  7. Aug 24, 2012 #6
    Also, if you are looking to do research in theoretical computer science, you should have some knowledge of computability theory and computational complexity theory.

BiP

8. Aug 25, 2012 #7
    hello ok if i have knowledge of data structures. and what are the other neccesary things. i want to develop web applications and networking applications.Or similiar to this can i take other us master program

9. Aug 25, 2012 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I am afraid you are completely unprepared for a US-based MS program.

• Your English is inadequate.
    • You're not only have not covered the typical preparation for a US MS program, you don't even know what that is. A MS in Computer Science is not about writing web applications.

You will need to catch up in India before thinking about a US Master's program. You need to have the equivalent of a US BS in computer science from a well-regarded university.

10. Aug 25, 2012 #9
    Currently I am Unprepared.ooh so web applications aren't covered in ms in computer science sylabus???? .So for developing web applications which group should i take in masters program???

11. Aug 25, 2012 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Going to a vocational/technical school would be my advice if you know nothing about web apps and that's all you wish to do. Everyone I know that does that for a living are self taught.

12. Aug 25, 2012 #11
    In fact, I was under the impression that "writing web applications" isn't even considered an academic area of research. That seems more like a field of work than an area of academic research. I can't imagine someone earning a MS in "writing web applications".

Most CS programs in the US emphasize research, that is, a theoretical or experimental investigation of the types of problems that computing power might be able to solve, and the order of magnitude of the time it would take computers to solve such problems. If you're designing web applications, you're either doing research on the fundamental computational limitations of web application design and using mathematical models to explain such limitations(which is much more difficult than the actual design of some simple web applications), or you're just working for a company which isn't what a MS is for.

That's the case for research in cryptography, theory of computation, and artificial intelligence.

I'm not sure about "networking applications".

Follow Evo's advice and get an apprenticeship at a vocational school where you can work while earning a degree that shows hands-on skills. MS in CS is much more theoretical than one might think...

It's one thing to be able to design an algorithm, it's quite another to prove using rigorous techniques that such-and-such algorithm cannot be efficiently implemented. The latter is very often the emphasis of theoretical CS and coincides with proof-based mathematics.

BiP

13. Aug 26, 2012 #12
    Ok wat about masters in software development??what they will study???

14. Aug 26, 2012 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you Google "masters in software development" you will get links to the universities that offer this program.

I think you are still missing a critical fact: a masters degree is an advanced degree, and one enters a master's program only after having completed a BS (and done well). Thinking about maybe getting a CCNA or CCNP does not prepare you for a master's.

15. Nov 3, 2012 #14
    ok wat are the prerequisites tat i should know for studying ms in computer science i dont have BS in computer science.In india we name it as B.E i finished BE in computer science .can i know wat are the things neccesarily needed i mean the subjects and topics i need to be strong???like data structures wat r the other things??

16. Nov 3, 2012 #15
    please wat r things i should be strong???so tat i can go-through topics and i can go for MS

17. Nov 3, 2012 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Improving your english would be a first step. Nobody is going to take you seriously if you spell like that.

• Sentences should start with a capital letter.
    • There should be a comma after Please
    • "wat" should be "what"
    • "r" should be "are"
    • "i" should always be written with a capital letter except when i is the imaginary number

So your sentence should be:

Please what are things I should be strong??? So that I can go through topics and I can go for MS.

The sentence is still not very good, so allow me to rewrite it a bit:

Please what are the things I should be strong in??? If I know this, then I can go through the relevant topics and I can get a MS.

I am not writing this post to humiliate you or anything. I am simply showing you that your english spelling and grammar is horrible and I am showing you how to improve. Nobody is going to hire you in the US if you spell like that. So this would be something you should really work on.

Also, if I made a spelling and grammar error somewhere, feel free to tell me :biggrin:

18. Nov 4, 2012 #17
    As discussed, you might want to reconsider why you need/want a masters in computer science from a US program. It's good practice in general for everyone to only enter programs when you know what you need/want from them (Otherwise, it's always more worthwhile to work).

Web development and windows form applications are not part of the masters curriculum, even at the weakest of schools (I have a masters in computer science myself from a low ranking local school). You'll still primarily be taking classes in academic fields, expected to begin doing research, required to read paper after paper, and use what you learn in those papers for your research projects and presentations. If you don't understand that now, you probably will be wasting time because it's not really necessary to go through all that to develop windows form apps. For that, you just need visual studio, a little knowledge of c#, and to find a paying customer. A US masters program in comp sci won't get you any of that.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook