MS EE or PhD Physics: Exploring Job Prospects

• Thread starter sloan13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary, for someone who is interested in both physics and engineering, pursuing a physics PhD after an MS in EE could lead to a variety of job opportunities in both fields and it would be worth considering.
sloan13
I am only a first year EE student, but I was think about where I could go with this major. I know I am getting at least a MS in EE; however, I love physics and always wanted to work in physics. I keep hearing physics has a terrible job market. Is it really true that a good amount of physics PhD's end up working outside of physics? Does "outside of physics" include engineering? I would be ok with that.

Basically, for someone who loves physics, would it be worth trying to get a physics PhD after a MS in EE and could I find a physics job? "Physics job" wouldn't have to be a university research position.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe something else in the industry. Yes, it is true that many physics PhDs end up working outside of physics. However, this does not mean that you cannot find a job in physics. The job market for physics is much better than it used to be, and there are plenty of opportunities for those with a physics degree. There are many physics-related jobs available in industry, which could be a great option for someone with an MS in EE. Additionally, there are plenty of research and teaching opportunities for physicists in universities and other research institutions. So even if you don't get a research position in a university, you can still find a job in physics.

1. What is the difference between a MS in EE and a PhD in Physics?

A MS in EE is a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, which focuses on the practical application of electrical principles and technologies. A PhD in Physics is a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Physics, which emphasizes theoretical and research-based studies in the field of physics.

2. What job opportunities are available for graduates with a MS in EE or a PhD in Physics?

Graduates with a MS in EE can work in a variety of industries such as telecommunications, power systems, and electronics design. Those with a PhD in Physics can work in research and development, academia, and advanced technology industries.

3. Is a MS in EE or a PhD in Physics more valuable in terms of job prospects?

This depends on the specific career goals of the individual. A MS in EE may be more valuable for those seeking a career in industry, while a PhD in Physics may be more valuable for those pursuing a career in research and academia.

4. Can a MS in EE or a PhD in Physics lead to high-paying jobs?

Absolutely. Both degrees can lead to high-paying jobs, but it ultimately depends on the individual's skills, experience, and specific job market demand. A PhD in Physics may have a higher earning potential in certain industries, such as research and development, while a MS in EE may have a higher earning potential in others, such as telecommunications.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that employers look for in candidates with a MS in EE or a PhD in Physics?

Employers may look for specific technical skills and knowledge related to the job, as well as soft skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication. Advanced degrees like a MS in EE or a PhD in Physics can also demonstrate a high level of expertise and dedication to the field, which can be attractive to employers.