MS in Engineering - Which One?

• Thread starter fizzziks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the speaker needs to pursue a technical Masters degree for their job and is considering options in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, and Nanotechnology Engineering. They plan on transitioning to engineering management and have been advised that the type of degree does not matter. They are leaning towards options 2 and 3 and are seeking advice on any potential shortcomings. The expert suggests sticking with a traditional engineering discipline like electrical or systems, and choosing whichever degree is most interesting. They also recommend considering the systems engineering degree for a future career in management.
fizzziks
I have a BSEE degree and the company I work for requires me to get a Masters degree in a technical field. I have a few options and can choose whichever Masters degree I want to pursue... as long as it is technical.

I have this narrowed down to a few degree selections:

1) MS in Electrical Engineering
2) MS in Systems Engineering
3) MS in Nanotechnology Engineering

Now to give you a little bit of my future goals. I don't plan on being an engineer or scientists for much more longer. By the time I finish my graduate degree, I'll be in the engineering management route.

I've spoken to many managers right now and they said they don't really care for what type of graduate degree you have in engineering, but as long as you have one. I honestly don't care either, I'm just doing it because I have to. I know this doesn't sound ideal and you probably think I'm wasting my time, which I might be, but I have to do it for work and the timing fits well. When I say timing, I'll be applying to business school for my MBA after I graduate with my MS in engineering... I'll have obtained enough work experience to hopefully leverage a spot in a top business school.

My question to you is - which degree should I pursue? I am leaning towards options 2 and 3, but are there any shortcomings in majoring in them? Do you see them not as popular as #1? Again, I'll be going towards the Program/Business management route at my workplace, not into a technical field.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Nanotechnology Engineering"? I haven't heard that one before, but it doesn't sound very impressive to me. To keep your options the most open, I would stick with a "traditional" engineering discipline such as electrical.

Systems might be closest to the work you hope to do as a manager, but electrical is probably the most flexible.

If anyone of them sounds even a little more interesting than the others I would do that. School is more enjoyable when you are interested, and you are likely to do better in something that grabs your attention.

If none of them sticks out as more interesting than any other, then for a manager of technical projects the system engineering degree is probably a little better than the other two, but not by much.

good luck.

1. What is the difference between an MS in Engineering and other engineering degrees?

An MS in Engineering is a graduate degree focused on advanced study and research in a specific engineering field. It typically requires a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field as a prerequisite. Other engineering degrees, such as a bachelor's or associate's degree, provide a broader overview of engineering principles and may be more suitable for students interested in working in entry-level positions.

2. Can I specialize in a specific area within the MS in Engineering program?

Yes, many MS in Engineering programs offer various specializations, such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or civil engineering. These specializations allow students to focus on a specific area of study and gain in-depth knowledge and skills in that particular field.

3. What are the career opportunities for graduates with an MS in Engineering?

Graduates with an MS in Engineering have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, electronics, and energy. They can work as engineers, researchers, consultants, project managers, or in other technical roles.

4. How long does it take to complete an MS in Engineering program?

The duration of an MS in Engineering program can vary depending on the institution and the student's course load. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete a full-time program and 2-3 years for part-time students. Some programs also offer accelerated options for students who want to finish their degree in a shorter time frame.

5. What are the admissions requirements for an MS in Engineering program?

The admissions requirements for an MS in Engineering program may vary, but most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a strong academic record, and letters of recommendation. Some programs may also require GRE scores and a statement of purpose outlining the applicant's academic and career goals.