1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering MS in structural engineering?

1. Aug 31, 2011 #1
    Im a junior majoring in civil engineering, and im considering going to grad school to get a MS in structural engineering. i see that my school requires 36 credit hours for a MS in structural, which is about 12 classes. assuming that i took 2 classes over the summer, could i finish a MS in 2 semesters +summer?

or is the courseload so much that you can only take a few classes at a time?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2011 #2
    I think this may be difficult. If you take two summer classes, I would plan on 3 semesters as these classes will take some work. Does your MS program require a thesis or project write-up?

BTW, structural engineering is a very interesting field - I think you are making an excellent choice. I have learned alot of practical structural engineering on-the-job over the years.

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3
    thank you for the response. my school doesnt require a thesis if youre doing the 36 credit hour route. the other option is to take twenty-something (cant remember exact number) credit hours but it requires a thesis.

so you're saying that classes in grad school would be a lot more work than my undergrad classes now?

5. Sep 9, 2011 #4
    The non thesis option would be faster in my opinion. In my case, I had all my graduate engineering classes done, but went round-and-round with my professor on the thesis write-up (mostly nit-picky things).

A few companies may be interested in your thesis, but for a practical field like structural engineering, the fact that you have a masters degree is what counts.

My experience was the graduate classes were usually more work than undergrad. There is more theory in graduate school, whick took me longer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook