How long does it take to complete a MS in structural engineering?

In summary: However, if youre motivated and have the time, a graduate degree is definitely worth it.A few companies may be interested in your thesis, but for a practical field like structural engineering, the fact that you have a masters degree is what counts.
ride5150
Im a junior majoring in civil engineering, and I am considering going to grad school to get a MS in structural engineering. i see that my school requires 36 credit hours for a MS in structural, which is about 12 classes. assuming that i took 2 classes over the summer, could i finish a MS in 2 semesters +summer?

or is the courseload so much that you can only take a few classes at a time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this may be difficult. If you take two summer classes, I would plan on 3 semesters as these classes will take some work. Does your MS program require a thesis or project write-up?

BTW, structural engineering is a very interesting field - I think you are making an excellent choice. I have learned a lot of practical structural engineering on-the-job over the years.

edgepflow said:
I think this may be difficult. If you take two summer classes, I would plan on 3 semesters as these classes will take some work. Does your MS program require a thesis or project write-up?

BTW, structural engineering is a very interesting field - I think you are making an excellent choice. I have learned a lot of practical structural engineering on-the-job over the years.

thank you for the response. my school doesn't require a thesis if youre doing the 36 credit hour route. the other option is to take twenty-something (cant remember exact number) credit hours but it requires a thesis.

so you're saying that classes in grad school would be a lot more work than my undergrad classes now?

ride5150 said:
thank you for the response. my school doesn't require a thesis if youre doing the 36 credit hour route. the other option is to take twenty-something (cant remember exact number) credit hours but it requires a thesis.

so you're saying that classes in grad school would be a lot more work than my undergrad classes now?
The non thesis option would be faster in my opinion. In my case, I had all my graduate engineering classes done, but went round-and-round with my professor on the thesis write-up (mostly nit-picky things).

A few companies may be interested in your thesis, but for a practical field like structural engineering, the fact that you have a masters degree is what counts.

My experience was the graduate classes were usually more work than undergrad. There is more theory in graduate school, whick took me longer.

As a fellow scientist and structural engineer, I can say that obtaining a MS in structural engineering is a great choice for your career. It will provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in this field, making you more competitive in the job market. The number of credit hours required for a MS in structural engineering may vary depending on the university, but it is typically around 30-36 credit hours.

It is possible to complete a MS in 2 semesters plus a summer if you take 2 classes over the summer. However, the courseload can be intense and it is important to consider your own study habits and time management skills. Some students may find it challenging to take multiple classes at once, while others may thrive in this environment. It is important to assess your own capabilities and determine if this is a feasible option for you.

Alternatively, you can also spread out your coursework over a longer period of time and take a few classes at a time. This may be a more manageable approach for some students, allowing them to balance their studies with other commitments.

In general, it is important to maintain a balance and not overload yourself with coursework. Remember, the quality of your education is just as important as the quantity. It is also important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that you are on track to meet all the requirements for your degree.

Overall, the decision to complete a MS in structural engineering in 2 semesters plus a summer or over a longer period of time should be based on your own capabilities and goals. Whichever path you choose, I wish you the best of luck in your academic and professional pursuits.

1. What is an MS in structural engineering?

An MS in structural engineering is a master's degree program that focuses on the design, analysis, and construction of structures such as buildings, bridges, and other infrastructure. It covers topics such as structural mechanics, structural analysis, and design principles.

2. What are the admission requirements for an MS in structural engineering?

The admission requirements for an MS in structural engineering may vary depending on the university, but generally, applicants are required to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. They may also need to have a minimum GPA, letters of recommendation, and submit GRE scores.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates with an MS in structural engineering?

Graduates with an MS in structural engineering can pursue various career paths, including structural design engineer, construction project manager, structural consultant, and research engineer. They can work in industries such as construction, consulting firms, government agencies, and research institutions.

4. How long does it take to complete an MS in structural engineering?

The duration of an MS in structural engineering program typically ranges from 1-2 years, depending on the university and the student's course load. Some universities may offer accelerated programs that can be completed in a shorter period.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from an MS in structural engineering?

Through an MS in structural engineering program, students will develop a strong understanding of structural design principles, construction materials, and structural analysis techniques. They will also gain hands-on experience in using industry-standard software and tools, as well as develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and project management skills.