1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MS programs

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1
    I am looking to find out if my choices of graduate programs for a MS in applied physics are reputable. I was accepted to both CSU long Beach, SFSU, and Fresno.. Does anyone have an opinion on these schools?

Is it normal that they don't offer tuition waivers? They are very vague on what they are offering in terms of money... How much is a reasonable amount of loans to accrue for a master's in case the TAships are not enough?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2
    Fresno State?

4. Nov 4, 2014 #3
    Yes, CSU Fresno.

SFSU is offering a TAship, but its only a small amount of money. My real concern is how much I should expect to take out in loans... What is a reasonable amount to have accrued by graduation, that wont totally screw me.

5. Nov 4, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think there is a standard number. Why haven't you asked each school what tuition and fees they are going to charge? You have a right to know, and if you are going to take out a student loan, you should know the answer.

If you were going to buy a car or a house, you'd want to know what the dealer or owner is asking. It's the same thing with education.

6. Nov 5, 2014 #5
    I totally agree.. SFSU is giving a "partial tuition waiver" which is 750 off of my tuition. That would bring tuition down to about 3000 a semester. I also think that I will be a recipient of the State university grant, which may cover the remaining cost of attendance. . also with one section of teaching is about $2500 a semester.
    Im concerned with what a master's degree holder can expect to pay off in terms of loans.. I have no idea what "too much money in loans" will look like for me. (thin film research group is what i plan on trying to get into).?
    I will be living in the east bay for a semester of two with my grandmother (free of charge) so i will need to commute as well... so I'm sure that will save me money compared to living in the city but still hefty charges for the commute i assume

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook