Turn off automatic help in MS Word

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Automatic
In summary, the conversation discusses how to turn off automatic features in Microsoft Word, specifically URLs turning into clickable links and grammar check. For turning off URLs, the solution is to go to the AutoCorrect settings and uncheck the "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks" option. As for grammar check, the solution is to go to the Spelling & Grammar tab in the Options menu and select or clear the "Check grammar as you type" option.
mattmns
Is there a way to turn off everything in word. I am doing a works cited paper and all this automatic "help" stuff is really annoying me. for example <url> turns into a url that is clickable and blue :grumpy: I am using ms word 2000 btw.
edit... Also how do I turn off grammar check?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
For the URLs, try this..

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.

Under Replace as you type, select or clear the Internet and network paths with hyperlinks check box.

For turning off grammar check:
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Spelling & Grammar tab.

To turn on or off automatic grammar checking, select or clear the Check grammar as you type check box.

Awesome, Thanks! :cool: :smile:

1. How do I turn off automatic help in MS Word?

To turn off automatic help in MS Word, go to the File tab and click on Options. In the Word Options window, select Proofing from the left menu and then click on the AutoCorrect Options button. In the AutoCorrect window, go to the AutoCorrect tab and uncheck the box next to "Show AutoComplete suggestions."

2. Why do I need to turn off automatic help in MS Word?

Automatic help in MS Word can be distracting and can slow down your typing. It may also suggest incorrect words or formatting that you do not want, leading to errors in your document.

3. Can I customize what automatic help suggests in MS Word?

Yes, you can customize the list of words and phrases that automatic help suggests in MS Word. In the AutoCorrect window, you can add or remove entries in the list and change the order in which they appear.

4. How can I turn off automatic help for a specific word or phrase in MS Word?

To turn off automatic help for a specific word or phrase in MS Word, right-click on the word or phrase and select "Stop Automatically Correcting" from the menu. This will prevent MS Word from suggesting changes for that specific word or phrase.

5. Does turning off automatic help affect other features in MS Word?

No, turning off automatic help in MS Word only disables the feature that suggests changes as you type. Other features, such as spell check and grammar check, will still be available and functioning as usual.