1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MSc. Bilogical Sciences-BITS,Pilani

1. Jul 16, 2005 #1
    Ok , my entrance exams are over,
    I am getting MSc.Biological Sciences and there is flexibility in my tech skool , to do ONE ENGINEERING COURSE (CIVIL/COMPUTERS/MECH/ELECTRONICS/IT)
    along with any MSc. Course .So the whole dual degree will complete in five YEARS.The syllabus for MSc. Biological Sciences:

List of Courses Under BIO (Click on the course for its description)

General Biology
    Biological Chemistry
    Biology Project Laboratory
    Developmental Biology
    Cell Biology
    General Physiology
    Cell and Tissue Culture Technology
    Instrumental Methods of Analysis
    Introduction to Bioinformatics
    Genetics and Molecular Biology
    Genetic Engineering
    Reproductive Physiology
    Biochemical Engineering
    Bioprocess Technology
    Recombinant DNA Technology
    Special Projects
    Population and Quantitative Genetics
    Molecular Mechanism of Gene Expression
    Molecular Immunology
    Interferon Technology
    Biostatistics and Biomodelling
    Neural Network Analysis
    Advanced Cell and Molecular Biology
    Membrane Biology
    Environmental Biotechnology
    Human Genetics
    Membrane and Liposome Technology
    Transgenic Technology
    Cell & Tissue Culture Technology
    Experimental Techniques
    Plant Biotechnology
    Protein and Enzyme Bioengineering
    Gene Toxicology
    Bioconversion Technology

So what do you people recommend , should I jump into this course? I am also interested in research....I am getting this course at BITS,Pilani (No.6 institute in INDIA)

Check the website .
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2005 #2
    Weren't you taking MET in PEC?
  4. Jul 16, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Ohh I'd take Biophysics and Neural Network Analysis
  5. Jul 17, 2005 #4
    BITS Pilani is great. If you are interested in Biological Sciences, you should go for it.

However, you have not specified other options available to you. You must select, what you think is the best available option to you.
  6. Jul 18, 2005 #5
    I just got the news that I got selected in BITS Pilani. So not sure of joining PEC.

7. Jul 18, 2005 #6
    BITS Pilani is great...since you weren't keen on any particular branch of engineering, I think it would be a great option.
    But I'm a little confused. Do you have to do CIVIL/COMPUTERS/MECH/ELECTRONICS/IT and then an M.Sc. in Biological Sciences? What do the two have to do with each other?
  8. Jul 18, 2005 #7

BITS Pilani has courses divided into 3 Groups:

Group A- Engg. Courses
    Group B- MSc Courses
    Group C- MSc.Tech Courses

BITS Pilani has an option that every Group B student can do a dual degree by taking one more course from GroupA which are the engg. courses . Assignment of branch in GroupA to Group B students will be made on the basis of their performance in first year.
    Whole dual degree takes 5 years to complete.

There is one more flexibility , students enrolled in one of the MSc. courses and want to change their course to another course in the same Group can do so by getting a good CGPA in first year. That is by working hard in first year , I can get a good engg. branch as well as I can change my course from MSc. Bio-Sciences to MSc.Physics which is what I like.

First year is same for all students, whether GroupA/B/C students.In first year they teach basic phy/chem/math/bio to all students irrespective of their Group.Then on the basis of performance in forst year , Students can compete for other branches with each other.

This system ensures that even after entering BITS,Pilani , you keep competing , there's lot of hard work to be done by each students , even if someone have got the best branch, he has to fight for his branch.This is an Americn-education system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?