Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering MSc in Mechanical Engineering?

  1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    Universities offer a MEng in mechanical engineering, but what is a Master of Science in Mechanical engineering? What are the differences and what do they do??


  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Difference between an MEng and a MScEng is a thesis. MScEng is the one that has the thesis. MEng just has a bunch of grad level electives you can take to supplement your academic needs and or career.
  4. Mar 19, 2009 #3
    I see. So how about the jobs that are offered to people with MScEng?
  5. Mar 19, 2009 #4


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    They are equivalent. Its just that employers hold more weight on the thesis - ie the MSc. So you would probably be put in a better position than someone who doesn't have one.
  6. Mar 19, 2009 #5
    Thats cool. But one thing is confusing me...the graduate office for mechanical engineering at my university says I can enter MScEng with "A BSc Degree from a recognized university with a minimum four-year program or equivalent."
    Does that mean BSc in ANY major??
  7. Mar 21, 2009 #6


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Depends on the individual university requirements. The expectation would normally be a degree in engineering or a related subject (so if you're a particularly good physicist, for example). Have a chat with the admissions officer for that university if you need to know.

    Also, I disagree with the response you had on the difference between an MEng and MSc in engineering. The MEng is an undergraduate degree, usually four years, of which the first three are effectively a BEng course. The final year takes your learning up to (but isn't necessarily all at) the level of an MSc. The MSc is a postgraduate course (hence the need for a prior Bachelors degree), nominally a year long.
  8. Mar 21, 2009 #7


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    I think there is a difference between the UK and the US(/other countries) here. Whilst what you say is correct for the UK, from what I understand, the comments that djeitnstine makes are correct for the US. Of course, since the OP doesn't specify a country, things will get a little confusing!
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook