Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MSc in Physics after BTech

  1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone.

    I am in a big dilemma. I want to do a PhD andtake up research in Physics as a career. The trouble is there are not many good colleges for Physics in India apart from the IITs(I qualified, but couldn't get a Physics seat). The next best option for Physics for me is the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research(IISER)( a Govt. college established only about 2 years ago). One career counsellors told me that doing a BTech from an established college(I have got an Electrical Engineering seat in NIT- a famous college in India) and then going for MSc will be better than joining a new institutue like IISER, because of the amount of exposure I get. Is that really true? Will a Btech give me a strong enough foundation? Pls reply asap.

  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    What this really depends on is whether or not the B. Tech. will qualify you as a pre-requisite for the M.Sc. program you're interested in. Where I'm from (Canada), technology "degrees" are really just community college diplomas and won't qualify you for graduate school. However, by the way you're describing it, it sounds like B.Tech. from a respected Indian university is basically an undergradute engineering degree. This may or may not qualify you for a master's program in physics. At my institution, I know we generally accept engineering students (and historically they do quite well), so long as they have the necessary prerequisite courses.

    If the IISER college is an accredited university, (i.e. will be recognized by the M.Sc. programs you're interested in), I wouldn't let the fact that it's new discourage you from going that route - especially if that's the program you really want to take.
  4. Jul 28, 2008 #3

    Yeah, a BTech in India will make you eligible for MSc programmes; I have checked it up with Indian Institute of Science which is the best place in India for research.

    IISER is not an accredited university yet, but it will soon be coz the Govt is really determined to improve Science ducation in India. They have earmarked Rs. 5 billion for IISER for the next five years. Also, IISER only offers 5-year "Integrated MS" courses that will qualify you for a PhD direstly. The last year of the 5-year course will be totally dedicated to research. You will have to go to one of the premier research institutes(IISc, TIFR) and do a research project.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  5. Aug 10, 2008 #4
    simply no way if you are opting for specialization in fields related to pure physics.....MSc after BTech is not allowed in most of the esteemed institutes of india...as many of them consider a BTech degree to be equivalent to a MSc. so u have the choice of directly opting for a PhD...through exams like NET-JRF, GATE...but obviously u can go for MSC(eng) at IISc....check out the sites of the institutes.....here goes the link for IISc:
    http://www.iisc.ernet.in/admissions/research.htm [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  6. May 31, 2010 #5
    I'm doing B.Tech in Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering. I checked out the website for eligibility of admission through JAM. They say that one should have a "Bachelor's degree with Physics as a subject for at least two years/ four semesters and Mathematics for at least one year/ two semesters." How would I know if I've studied physics as a main subject or not? I mean how would I know if that's what they wanted? Please help me out!
  7. Jun 14, 2010 #6

    Are you sure that IISc considers engineering graduates for their MSc physics course?
  8. Jun 15, 2010 #7
    the IITs has a very reputable undergrad program. one of my professors here got an engineering degree in india and transferred to the U.S. for grad school where there are many good grad programs for physics.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook