Should I Pursue a PhD at UCL or Seek Opportunities Elsewhere?

Your name]In summary, the student is seeking advice on whether to continue their PhD studies at UCL or apply to other universities such as Cambridge or Imperial. They are considering factors such as prestige, funding, and research opportunities in their decision. Ultimately, the decision will depend on their individual goals and circumstances.
phospho
I need some advice,

I've just finished my 2nd year at UCL studying the Bsc in mathematics. I've so far really enjoyed my course and I'm hoping to go on to do a phd somewhere. Now, like everyone else, I want to go to the best place possible.

So far, my grades are fairly good, every exam I've sat I've gotten 90%+, except one applied module where I got 88%. I've spoken to certain professors at UCL and they seem very happy to take me on as a phd student after my third year, but I'm not sure if I should go to somewhere "better" or more prestigious.

I've done some research and I've decided that I want to stay in the UK for at least my masters (if I have to do one), but I don't mind going to the US for a phd. I've taken a look at Cambridge Part III and I've heard very good things about it, but there is a problem and that's the funding. Currently I only have £10k saved up, which would make Cambridge a very big stretch, while if I stayed at UCL I wouldn't have to do a masters, and I'd probably get funding also. I've also taken a look at Imperial's masters, and that's around £6k, meaning I could easily afford it and I could stay with my parents while studying for it. However, is Imperial really that much "better" than UCL? I understand how Cambridge can be seen as that, but I'm not so sure about Imperial.

Overall, I'm not sure what to do. Should I just stick with UCL or perhaps do another year at UCL and get a Msci then apply to other universities? Should I go to Imperial or somehow get more money for Cambridge... I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if there are many math experts in this forum, but I hope someone does respond.

note: my research area would most probably be something to do with Lie algebras and algebraic groups.

Here is a link to what we study at UCL: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maths/courses/undergraduates
Imperial masters: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pgprospec...uremathematics

Hope someone can help, thanks.

edit: I hope to go onto academia, failing that, finance - so prestige is important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

First of all, congratulations on your success in your mathematics course at UCL! It sounds like you have a strong academic background and are considering some exciting opportunities for your future studies.

I can offer some general advice on your situation. Firstly, it's important to remember that prestige is not the only factor to consider when choosing a university for your PhD studies. While it can certainly be a factor, it's also important to find a program and a research group that aligns with your interests and goals. So, my first suggestion would be to research the programs and faculty at both Cambridge and Imperial, and see which one has more opportunities for you to pursue your research interests in Lie algebras and algebraic groups. You may also want to reach out to current PhD students or faculty at both universities to get a better sense of the research environment and opportunities available.

Secondly, funding is a crucial factor to consider. Pursuing a PhD can be a long and challenging journey, and it's important to have financial stability and support throughout it. If Cambridge is your top choice, I would suggest exploring options for securing additional funding, such as scholarships, grants, or assistantships. You may also want to consider taking a gap year to work and save up for your studies, if possible.

Another option to consider is doing a master's degree at Imperial before pursuing your PhD. This could give you the opportunity to build a stronger academic profile and potentially secure funding for your PhD studies at Cambridge. However, it's important to keep in mind that the cost of living in London may be higher than in Cambridge, so you'll need to factor in those expenses as well.

Ultimately, the decision of where to pursue your PhD is a personal one and will depend on your individual goals and circumstances. I would suggest weighing all of these factors and considering what is most important to you in your academic and career journey. It may also be helpful to speak with your professors and mentors at UCL for their advice and guidance.

I wish you all the best in your decision-making process and your future studies.

1. What is the difference between an MSc and a PhD in pure mathematics?

An MSc in pure mathematics is a master's degree that typically takes 1-2 years to complete, while a PhD is a doctoral degree that takes 4-6 years to complete. The MSc focuses on coursework and a research project, while the PhD is primarily research-based and requires a dissertation.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in pure mathematics without a background in mathematics?

No, a strong background in mathematics is necessary for pursuing a PhD in pure mathematics. Most programs require applicants to have a bachelor's or master's degree in mathematics or a closely related field.

3. What career opportunities are available with an MSc or PhD in pure mathematics?

Graduates with an MSc or PhD in pure mathematics can pursue careers in academia, research, finance, data analysis, and more. They can also work in industries that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

4. What is the application process like for an MSc or PhD in pure mathematics?

The application process for an MSc or PhD in pure mathematics typically involves submitting transcripts, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some programs may also require a writing sample or an interview.

5. Is funding available for MSc or PhD programs in pure mathematics?

Yes, many universities offer funding opportunities for graduate students in pure mathematics, including scholarships, fellowships, teaching or research assistantships, and grants. It is important to research and apply for funding opportunities early in the application process.