What can I do with a Chemistry BS and a minor in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's academic journey from studying Materials Science and Engineering at one university to transferring to another university and majoring in Chemistry. The speaker expresses interest in understanding the fundamental makeup of particles and considering pursuing a Physics degree. They seek advice on what type of Physics degree would be suitable for someone with their interests and background, and whether it is possible to enter a postgraduate program in Particle Physics without a Physics degree. The other person suggests taking some time to think about their future goals before making a decision, but agrees that the speaker seems more interested in Physics. They also mention that having a Physics major and Chemistry minor may be more beneficial for future academic pursuits.
Gabagool22
Just to keep this from being a long post:
I went to a local CSU for Materials Science and Engineering in the fall of 2018 after graduating high school in the spring of 2018. I really like learning about everything that makes up the world around me, and why things are the way they are, and in what ways they can be altered to fit better situation/ serve different purposes. While I was satisfied with my degree choice, I really didn't like the school I was in. So, I transferred from my CSU to another CSU, and the new school didn't offer an MSE course (the reason I didn't go here in the first place even though I knew I liked this school more). Knowing that I like Chem (hadn't taken a Physics class at college yet), I decide to enroll as a Chem major and go from there.

After starting school in my new university in Fall 2019, I had grown further interested in the fundamental make up of particles and why they are the way they are. I wasn't totally into how molecules interact with each other and learning about bonds as much as I was interested in dissecting each part of the particles that I was learning about. I wanted to learn more about the protons, neutron, and electrons; As well as the things that make up those individual pieces, and then working on understanding those particles on a subatomic level. I love learning about the fundamental physics of the Universe, and trying to form reasoning for why it is the way it is, and again dissecting what is going on as far as I can in order to truly understand what is going on.

While being a Chem major in my new University, I chose to take an Astronomy class that would satisfy a GE, and I really enjoyed it, sadly I was unable to fit the next astronomy class into my schedule the following semester, and I haven't taken one since. I have also taken a physics course, along with a lab, and I think that both physics and chemistry lend a great deal into helping me form my understanding of the world around me. I am having trouble choosing exactly how to take these next steps into the latter half of my undergraduate experience with the goal of keeping as many doors open as I can until I can set a proper route for my schooling.

The question I have today revolves around what Physics degrees somebody with an extensive physics background might recommend to somebody with interests like me, and what kind of degree I could get as an undergraduate to satisfy the requirements for that field of study.

I am at a point in my degree where I can stop pursuing Chem classes and switch to physics without really messing up my path, and I would end up with a minor in Chemistry after completion of my first Ochem class this semester. I would like to know what to expect if I were to continue my Chemistry BS and possibly minor in physics. Could I potentially show that I know enough about science as a whole to get into a post grad (maybe particle physics) program without a Physics degree?? Or should I really just choose one or the other? I am extremely interested in Phsyics, Astronomy, and Chemistry as they all help form an understanding of the world that I live in, but I am having trouble trying to build myself a path for my success.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should spend some more time thinking about what you want to pursue after your BS before making any further decisions. But, to me, it seems you want to pursue physics.

In my opinion (for what it's worth), if you change your mind later on, it's easier to be accepted to a chem masters with a physics major/chem minor than it would be to be accepted to a physics masters with a chem major/physics minor. Particle physics relies heavily on upper-level undergrad courses that probably wouldn't be a part of a minor.

Likes symbolipoint

1. What career options are available with a Chemistry BS and a minor in Physics?

There are many career paths you can pursue with a Chemistry BS and a minor in Physics. Some common options include working as a research scientist in a laboratory, a quality control analyst in a pharmaceutical company, a chemical engineer, or a forensic scientist. You could also pursue a career in education, consulting, or government work.

2. Can I work as a chemist with a minor in Physics?

Yes, having a minor in Physics can be beneficial for a career as a chemist. Knowledge of physics principles can help you understand chemical reactions and phenomena at a deeper level, and may also be useful in certain areas of chemistry such as physical chemistry or materials science.

3. Will I need to pursue further education after obtaining a Chemistry BS and a minor in Physics?

It depends on your career goals and the specific job requirements. Some positions may require a higher degree, such as a Master's or PhD, while others may only require a bachelor's degree. Pursuing further education can also open up more opportunities for advancement and higher salaries.

4. What skills will I gain from a Chemistry BS and a minor in Physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in chemistry and physics principles, you will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. You will also gain experience in conducting experiments, analyzing data, and presenting your findings effectively.

5. Are there any specific industries that value a Chemistry BS and a minor in Physics?

Chemistry and physics are both versatile fields, so there are many industries that value these skills. Some examples include pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, environmental science, materials science, and energy. Additionally, many research and development positions in various industries may require a strong background in chemistry and physics.