Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mt. Washington tomorrow, anyone?

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm gonna be on Mt. Washington tomorrow (Tuesday) if anyone feels like dropping in. Lake o' the Clouds dungeon Tuesday and Wednesday nights. I'll have a cribbage board.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2008 #2
    I always wanted to learn to play cribbage. Hope you have a wonder stay there.

4. Aug 4, 2008 #3
    sounds great------but the middle of January is the best time to go, I've heard

what's going on up there right now?

5. Aug 4, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Wow! Beautiful place to stay. I hope the weather cooperates - New England had been getting some pretty heavy showers and T-storms.

6. Aug 4, 2008 #5
    that's what I was thinking---snow?

7. Aug 4, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What's the weather going to be like? If it's cool, I hate you. :biggrin:

GREG!!!! Are you moving the smilies around again!?!? :devil: You know that makes me crazy.

8. Aug 4, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

It's almost always cool up there, Evo. And being well above the tree line, there is almost always a breeze, and often strong winds. It's not uncommon to see hikers on Mt. Washington wearing sweaters and windbreakers in the summer. Even in the summer, if the clouds roll in, it can get pretty darned cold there. That's a place where the weather can turn quickly, too. The highest recorded wind gust (231 mph) was recorded there in the '30s. Had to Google to get the actual speed, but I remembered that world-record wind speed from a trip to the observatory about 10-15 years back.

9. Aug 4, 2008 #8
    Dang, Hold on to your hats ..and the little tykes!

10. Aug 4, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

When I visited the observatory, they had a continuous loop running of a film they had made during outrageous winds. It was of an observatory staff member trying to fix and eat a bowl of cold cereal and milk outdoors. Pretty funny stuff! Cereal never hitting the bowl, poured milk being swept off sideways in the wind, etc. Kinda like a Keystone Kops movie.

11. Aug 4, 2008 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No tykes this trip, just myself. I hadn't gotten my mountain fix yet this summer, and school's back in 3 weeks, and I have to go to VA next week (in-laws...groan) and I need to be back by Friday night 'coz TMBG is doing a free show at the Mohegan Sun, so...

I got four days to myself.

Weather looks OK. Tuesday looks like "the day."

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  12. Aug 4, 2008 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Congratulations on the great timing. The outlook for tomorrow is pretty much ideal for Mt. Washington. Any time you can get sunshine, <25 mph winds, and low-to-mid 70's up there, that's pretty darned near perfect, and if this humidity clears out, the views will be spectacular. We want pictures!! If only to make Evo jealous. :uhh:

13. Aug 4, 2008 #12
    I'm ashamed to say that I live 2 hours away and I've still only been up there once in my entire life. I do remember there being snow up there right around the foliage season. It's a beautiful area up there though :)

14. Aug 6, 2008 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wednesday.

I. am. so.

FREAKIN wet.

15. Aug 6, 2008 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Yeah, if your descent looked anything like my day, you had OK temps in torrential downpours. No way to stay dry or comfortable. Hope your hike-in and stay made the slog-out worth the time and discomfort.

16. Aug 6, 2008 #15
    As a child, I spent a lot of time in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire because my grandparents lived in Laconia. This thread made me want to go back up there for a long weekend, but I can't do it because my son is taking a reading course on weekends. Perhaps next year I will plan better for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?