1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MTBF calculation

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    I am confused as to how to calculate MTBF. I am using a website called Polimore, http://www.polimore.com/index.php?P=1000110&F=home.html I input all of the subcomponents of my system and their MTBFs and then I get the MTBF for the system. The thing I am confused of is what to do if I am using more than one of the subcomponents. For example, I am using 5 of the same capacitor. Do I input this capacitor 5 times? Will this change the MTBF at all?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2012 #2
    I would think any of the caps could fail, so wouldn't the MTBF decrease?

If there were a million caps, you'd have a million more ways it could fail, after all.

I would ask, however, are the caps in series? Perhaps you want to achieve a certain capacitance value otherwise unavailable?

If so, you might treat the stack as one cap (I am assuming the voltage rating of an individual cap is sufficient by itself, so a stack of 5 would see far less than supply voltage).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook