Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MTW Excercise 7.1

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1

TerryW

Gold Member

I have managed to get to the end of Chapter 6 and have done almost all of the exercises (I didn't get anywhere with exercise 5.6 (d) and have seen the Cesarth/TSny exchange and still don't feel I have a satisfactory solution...) but I have hit a bit of a wall with Exercise 7.1. I've attached my manuscript working which achieves a result of 0 = 0 (well at least it is consistent) but no differential equations. Can anyone give me a hint as to how I should be approaching this?

Regards

TerryW

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 23, 2014 #3

TerryW

Gold Member

Thanks for the suggestion Greg. I'll try a different title to see if I can attract more interest. I suspect MTW has gone out of fashion over the years. I bought my copy in the early seventies but I quickly realised I couldn't really work on it at the same time as having a career (not physics related) and a family. I'm retired now so I'm fulfilling my ambition to study GR using this book. I've already done some work on the subject using D'Inverno, which I bought for my son's time at University but I prefer MTW - I reckon it's a physicist's book!

Regards

TerryW

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook