Help with Exercise 7.1 - MTW Chapter 6

• Thread starter TerryW
  • Start date
In summary, TerryW has completed Chapter 6 and most of the exercises, except for exercise 5.6 (d). They are struggling with Exercise 7.1 and have attached their work for others to review. They also mention purchasing the book MTW in the 1970s and now having more time to study general relativity. They prefer MTW over other textbooks such as D'Inverno.
TerryW
Gold Member
I have managed to get to the end of Chapter 6 and have done almost all of the exercises (I didn't get anywhere with exercise 5.6 (d) and have seen the Cesarth/TSny exchange and still don't feel I have a satisfactory solution...) but I have hit a bit of a wall with Exercise 7.1. I've attached my manuscript working which achieves a result of 0 = 0 (well at least it is consistent) but no differential equations. Can anyone give me a hint as to how I should be approaching this?

RegardsTerryW

Attachments

• MTW Ex 7.1.pdf
    706.4 KB · Views: 249
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Thanks for the suggestion Greg. I'll try a different title to see if I can attract more interest. I suspect MTW has gone out of fashion over the years. I bought my copy in the early seventies but I quickly realized I couldn't really work on it at the same time as having a career (not physics related) and a family. I'm retired now so I'm fulfilling my ambition to study GR using this book. I've already done some work on the subject using D'Inverno, which I bought for my son's time at University but I prefer MTW - I reckon it's a physicist's book!

RegardsTerryW

1. What is Exercise 7.1 in MTW Chapter 6?

Exercise 7.1 in MTW Chapter 6 is a problem set that focuses on the analysis of variance (ANOVA) and its applications in statistics. It involves understanding and applying various ANOVA techniques to different data sets.

2. Why is Exercise 7.1 important in statistics?

Exercise 7.1 is important in statistics because it helps to develop a better understanding of ANOVA, which is a commonly used statistical tool. By completing this exercise, students can improve their skills in data analysis and learn how to apply ANOVA to real-world scenarios.

3. What are some key concepts covered in Exercise 7.1?

Some key concepts covered in Exercise 7.1 include the analysis of variance, one-way ANOVA, two-way ANOVA, and post-hoc tests. Students will also learn about the assumptions and limitations of ANOVA, as well as how to interpret and report the results.

4. How can I approach Exercise 7.1 to ensure success?

To ensure success in Exercise 7.1, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concepts and techniques covered in the chapter. It is also helpful to practice with similar data sets and review any relevant material or notes. Additionally, working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor or professor can also be beneficial.

5. What are some resources I can use for further help with Exercise 7.1?

There are several resources that can be used for further help with Exercise 7.1. These include online tutorials and practice problems, textbooks, and consulting with a statistics expert. Additionally, many universities have tutoring centers or academic support services that can provide assistance with exercises and assignments.