Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MTW: Exer. 8.11, pg. 215

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    It is the last part that I am having trouble understanding. It says that if u and w are tangent vectors then,

[tex]\nabla_{\bold{u}}\bold{w} - \nabla_{\bold{w}}\bold{u} = [\bold{u},\bold{w}][/tex].​

[tex][\bold{u},\bold{w}] = \partial_{\bold{u}}\partial_{\bold{w}} - \partial_{\bold{w}}\partial_{\bold{u}} = (u^\beta\,v^{\alpha}_{,\beta} - v^\beta\,u^{\alpha}_{,\beta})\bold{e}_\alpha[/tex].

[tex]\nabla_{\bold{u}}\bold{w} - \nabla_{\bold{w}}\bold{u} = (u^\beta\,w^{\alpha}_{,\beta} - w^\beta\,u^{\alpha}_{,\beta})\bold{e}_\alpha + (u^\beta\,w^{\alpha} - w^\beta\,u^{\alpha})\bold{e}_{\alpha}_{,\beta}[/tex].

So how do I reason that the second term disappears? Is the derivative of the vector basis zero b/c this is in a local Lorentz frame? In other words, there are no correction terms??

Thanks in advance for any help you may give me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2010 #2
    Work in coordinate basis [tex]e_\alpha=\partial_\alpha[/tex]. Use the fact that the Levi-Civita connection is symmetric and
    [tex]\nabla_\alpha e_\beta = ....[/tex]
  4. Sep 6, 2010 #3

[1] By "Levi-Civita connection" do you mean:
    a) the "connection coefficients" aka
    b) the affine connection aka
    c) the Christoffel symbols??

[2] In a coordinate basis, the commutator of the partials is zero. The second term is not a commutator of the partials - but of the components of the respective vectors. So it can't be canceled out.

[3] Finally, [tex]\nabla_{\alpha}\,\bold{e}_{\beta}[/tex] is the connection coefficient, [tex]\Gamma^{\mu}_{\alpha\beta}\bold{e}_{\mu}[/tex]. So then the other term would be: [tex]\nabla_{\beta}\,\bold{e}_{\alpha} = \Gamma^{\mu}_{\beta\alpha}\bold{e}_{\mu}[/tex] ... which when subtracted - and since the Christoffel symbols are symmetric in their lower indices - would then make the second term cancel out!

So I was too quick to match dummy indices with these two terms! Yes?? (If so thanks dude!!)

5. Sep 7, 2010 #4
    "would then make the second term cancel out"
    Just remeber: if [tex]A^{\alpha\beta}[/tex] is antisymmetric and [tex]B_{\alpha\beta}[/tex] is symmetric, then [tex]A^{\alpha\beta}B_{\alpha\beta}=0[/tex].
  6. Sep 7, 2010 #5
    Yes! the (uw-wu) is anti-symmetric in a,b and the e_a,b is symmetric in a,b. That's a good one to remember.

Thanks for all your kind help and patience with me. May God richly bless you, in Jesus' name, amen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook