Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MTW Exercise 19.3 last part

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    hello
    In part 8) of this Ex, MTW mentions that the dominant non linear terms must be proportional to the square (M/r)2. The problem is that since I got the value :
    h00 = A0/r + 6Qijninj/r3 (Qij is the quadrupole moment) and following the translation of coordinates suggested by MTW which is found in linearized theory , eq 4a of MTW chapter 18-Box18.2 , xjnew= xjold - Bj/A0 where the Bj = 6Qijni/r which leads to the new metric perturbation in the new coordinate frame : h00new = h00old - εj,j - εj,j
    where the εj = - Bj / A0
    now I need to derive the εj with respect to j which leads to εj,j = 6Qii/A0r2 - 12 Qijxixj/A0r4 (I discard this last term)
    And the metric would then be :
    g00 = -1 + A0/2r - 6Qii/A0r2

I'm I right up to this point ? Did I miss anything perhaps ?
    the poblem is that I would not see where the M2 would come out here ? I have the r2 and also the first linear term but the second term is proportional to the quadrupole moment divided by r2A0 which means no M squared ? and the A0 is linear in M

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2013 #2
  4. Apr 1, 2013 #3
    Full solution could be found in Landau and Lifgarbagez page 359 for those interested...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook