Help with MTW Exercise 6.9 - Yes/No Answer

• Thread starter TerryW
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a coupled system of three differential equations. The problem has six variables - three variables and their respective derivatives. The discussion is moved to the technical math section as it is more about solving a system of differential equations rather than relativity. The equations are correct with both t and tau included, but there is a more systematic way of solving such systems. There is a suggestion to turn the S's into different combinations and find three differential equations for them. The coefficients are constant and can be made to vary as exp(lambda * tau). There is also a mention of a confusion with the symbols S1 and S1. The person asking the question is satisfied with the answer that they have six variables and
TerryW
Gold Member
Can anyone help with the attached problem. A simple yes or no answer only is required, but if you want to point me in a particular direction...

Attachments

• MTW 6.9.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org
The three equations in the attachment represent a coupled system of three differential equations. There are not three variables - there are six, the three variables and the three derivatives of these variables.

Since the question is more about solving a system of differential equations, and less about relativity, I am moving the thread to the technical math section.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
The three equations in the attachment represent a coupled system of three differential equations. There are not three variables - there are six, the three variables and the three derivatives of these variables.

Since the question is more about solving a system of differential equations, and less about relativity, I am moving the thread to the technical math section.
I think you have answered my question. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You have both t and tau. Did you mean to write only 1 variable?

dextercioby said:
You have both t and tau. Did you mean to write only 1 variable?
I noticed that as well. My guess is that it should be one of them, not both.

The equations are correct and do include both t and tau, but this works out OK because dt/d(tau) = gamma

Don't bother to spend any more time on this - the message is clear that I have six variables and only three equations so I have to 'take a guess' at what the solutions may be.TerryW

I looked at this problem, and I suggest turning the S's into these combinations: S0, (S1*cos(ω*t)+S2*sin(ω*t)), (-S1*sin(ω*t)+S2*cos(ω*t)), or reversed signs for sin(ω*t) if necessary. You will find three differential equations for them. Since the coefficients are constant, you can easily make them vary as exp(λ*τ), where you must find λ.

You switched symbols in the middle of the equations. Are we to assume that "S1" is the same as "S1", etc.?

In this case, S1 = η11S1.

As I said in my reply to Dextercioby and Mark44, the answer telling me that I have 6 variable was all I needed, so please don't worry about this any further on my behalf.RegardsTerryW

1. What is MTW Exercise 6.9?

MTW Exercise 6.9 is a problem set from the textbook "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas. It involves practicing the use of the yes/no answer technique in solving mathematical problems.

2. What is the yes/no answer technique?

The yes/no answer technique is a problem-solving strategy that involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller yes/no questions, which can be answered using basic mathematical concepts and logic.

3. How do I approach MTW Exercise 6.9?

To approach MTW Exercise 6.9, you should first carefully read the problem and identify the key information and what is being asked. Then, break down the problem into smaller yes/no questions and work through them one at a time. Finally, check your answers and make sure they are logically consistent.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the yes/no answer technique?

Some common mistakes when using the yes/no answer technique include not carefully reading the problem, making incorrect assumptions, and not checking the logical consistency of answers. It is also important to use precise language and notation when answering yes/no questions.

5. How can I improve my skills in using the yes/no answer technique?

You can improve your skills in using the yes/no answer technique by practicing with a variety of problems and seeking feedback from peers or a teacher. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller steps and to check your answers for logical consistency and precision.