Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mu Alpha Theta Geometry

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    I don't know how many of you have heard of Mu Alpha Theta, but for those who haven't, it's a high school and two-year college math competition.
    Shameless plug: Middleton, my high school, won 7th in the nation in July! Go tigers!
    I'm taking Algebra 2 this year, but one of our coaches has asked me to come up with a series of one-hour lectures/tutorials for the geometry kids. I have a vague idea of what I need to cover, but I'm lost. I learned by practicing probably way too much, which isn't very helpful when presenting.
    Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2
    Hi Tevakh,

1) Can you give us that vague idea of what you need to cover?
    2) Do you have sample problems from past competitions that you can incorporate into your lectures? (these questions might actually drive what you will talk about).
    3) You can always ask your coach for help, no?
    4) Knibb High Football Rules!
  4. Aug 19, 2008 #3
    My high school took 7th nationally when I competed in MAO in Spring 2005. Props to your high school. I actually took the geometry test (but did horribly as I recall, so I couldn't help you).
  5. Feb 8, 2009 #4
    Shame filled plug: Mine won the past two years.

Ok, I won my geometry topic as a one-year theta (at state MAO, but its just the same) so what you should cover:

Have one on triangles, on the properties of its centers, and all the many ways to find their area. Also cover in this the properties of the angle bisector and how it segments the side it intersects.

One on other figures, and how to break them into triangles to find their properties (quads and octagons and such). You will want to cover how the 1/2 Apother Perimeter formula can be generalized upon for certaint quads.

One on 3d figures, and how to crossection them into triangles and other figures. Be sure to cover F+V = E+2 and volume formulas of common ones. This will be a short session, so add in a bit of basic trig into it. Sin^2 + cos^2 = 1, and MAYBE a double angle formula, though it would be very very unused, but still a filler in time.

They are geometry kids, so they probably havent had algebra 2 yet (maybe) so you will want to do a simple session on algebra two topics that may come up.

After each section in your lecture, solve a few example competition problems that relate directly to this topic, then a few that relate to it indirectly. Be sure to keep everything cumulative to what you have already done, and make it enjoyable. They will be more likely to retain information, and give my school some challenge.

However checking the post date on this shows me this thing is dead, and you probably have already given the lectures.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?