Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mud contraction - stress, strain

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1
    I am trying to solve the problem of the mud cracks in the attached pdf, but I am not really sure I have the right understanding of the problem.
    As far as I can understand we look at what will happen when mud dries and contract. The contraction of the mud modifies the strain by a term β on the RHS of the equation for uxx, which is the strain in the x-direction. However there is also a stress term, which I interpret like this. When the mud contracts the contact force with the ground will create a shear stress in the mud opposing the contraction. But I am not sure if this is the correct understanding. Either way I am not sure how to approach the question: Formulate the force balance equation for the system.
    There is a force opposing the contraction, but are there other forces?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook