Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mueller matrix - rotation

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I have a basic question on Mueller matrix which I came across upon reading through the Handbook of Optic, chapter 22 polarimetry. It says that :-

when a polarization element with Mueller matrix M is rotated about the beam of light by an angle \theta such that the angle of incident is unchanged, the resulting Mueller matrix M is :

= M(\theta)
    = R(\theta) M R(-\theta)
    = [matrix elements of R(\theta)] [matrix elements of M] X [matrix elements of R(-theta)]

My question is, what does the "X" mean here..
    From my reading, the cross product is used with vector. This time, it's a matrix.

Sorry if this is too basic, I've just started brushing up my matrix since college.

Appreciate any help.

regards,
    --islahna

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi islahna! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    I don't know what that X is doing there …

in fact, I don't understand what that third line
    is supposed to mean at all. :confused:

The first and second lines, effectively M' = RMR-1, are just the standard formula for the effect of rotation R on matrix M …

it's ordinary matrix mulitplication. :smile:

4. Jan 8, 2009 #3
    hi tiny-tim,
    thank you so much for the insight. I'll take it as ordinary matrix mulitplication for now.
    But I'm still curious, why they use that X sign, has got to be something ..mm.

thanks,
    --islahna

5. Jan 9, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi islahna! :smile:

dunno :confused:

i don't have a copy of that book …

can you scan it? :smile:

6. Jan 11, 2009 #5
    hi tiny-tim,

I've contacted the author since and the following is the snippet from his response that I'd like to share.
    Hope it clarifies any doubts ..

------- start -------

The x in Eq. 12 & 13 is just matrix multiplication and is there because the equation continued onto a second line. I understand how these little things can be so difficult to those starting who need the information the most.
    ------- end -----------

thanks you.

--islahna

7. Jan 12, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well done!! :biggrin:

Duh :rolleyes: … an author trying to avoid one source of confusion by creating another one! :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?