1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mueller matrix - rotation

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    Hi,
    I have a basic question on Mueller matrix which I came across upon reading through the Handbook of Optic, chapter 22 polarimetry. It says that :-

when a polarization element with Mueller matrix M is rotated about the beam of light by an angle \theta such that the angle of incident is unchanged, the resulting Mueller matrix M is :

= M(\theta)
    = R(\theta) M R(-\theta)
    = [matrix elements of R(\theta)] [matrix elements of M] X [matrix elements of R(-theta)]

My question is, what does the "X" mean here..
    From my reading, the cross product is used with vector. This time, it's a matrix.

Sorry if this is too basic, I've just started brushing up my matrix since college.

Appreciate any help.

regards,
    --islahna

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi islahna! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    I don't know what that X is doing there …

in fact, I don't understand what that third line
    is supposed to mean at all. :confused:

The first and second lines, effectively M' = RMR-1, are just the standard formula for the effect of rotation R on matrix M …

it's ordinary matrix mulitplication. :smile:

4. Jan 8, 2009 #3
    hi tiny-tim,
    thank you so much for the insight. I'll take it as ordinary matrix mulitplication for now.
    But I'm still curious, why they use that X sign, has got to be something ..mm.

thanks,
    --islahna

5. Jan 9, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi islahna! :smile:

dunno :confused:

i don't have a copy of that book …

can you scan it? :smile:

6. Jan 11, 2009 #5
    hi tiny-tim,

I've contacted the author since and the following is the snippet from his response that I'd like to share.
    Hope it clarifies any doubts ..

------- start -------

The x in Eq. 12 & 13 is just matrix multiplication and is there because the equation continued onto a second line. I understand how these little things can be so difficult to those starting who need the information the most.
    ------- end -----------

thanks you.

--islahna

7. Jan 12, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well done!! :biggrin:

Duh :rolleyes: … an author trying to avoid one source of confusion by creating another one! :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?