Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Muhammad Ali has died

1. Jun 4, 2016 #1
    News before was that he only had hours to live.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/80754026/muhammad-ali-has-died

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11650743 [Broken]

RIP.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2016 #2

Borg

Gold Member

The last news that I heard was that he was expected to just be in the hospital for a short stay.
    Ali was a true gentleman. Rest in peace.

4. Jun 4, 2016 #3

Nugso

Gold Member

The guy never hesitated to stand up for what he thought was right. Was truly the greatest of all time. RIP.

5. Jun 4, 2016 #4
    A true class act. And what a character. As a kid, I always enjoyed the interplay between Ali and Cosell.

6. Jun 4, 2016 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I remember him as Cassius Clay before the draft for the Vietnam war. His daughter Laila Ali is on the Food Network and she comes across as delightful, he has stunningly beautiful children, may he rest in peace and best wishes for his family.

7. Jun 5, 2016 #6

Lisa!

Gold Member

R.I.P Muhammad Ali!

8. Jun 5, 2016 #7

Dotini

Gold Member

I and all the other males in my extended family were gathered around the radio when Cassius Clay fought heavily favored Sonny Liston for his first professional heavyweight title bout. The elders were all amazed when Clay scored his stunning first round knockout. Claims of a fix were widely made but never resolved. Whatever the truth of that match, I followed Clay, then later Ali, for the remainder of his career. He was the most important boxer I ever heard of, not just for his amazing speed, power and cunning in the ring, but also for his principled stand against the Vietnam war and draft which cost him years from his fighting prime.

It is ironic that the form of Islam he practiced, at least at the beginning, stood for separation of the races and religions. In later years, he is transformed into an almost universally admired and even unifying figure, despite the faux pas along the way.

I have also heard widely differing opinions on the effect of boxing on his subsequent Parkinson's disease.

Bottom line, Muhammad Ali's revolutionary effect upon professional sports, aided by media figures such as Howard Cosell, was such that there literally can never be another like him - a true legend

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted