Who was the legendary boxer that passed away at age 74?

• News
  • Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
In summary, boxing legend Muhammad Ali passed away at the age of 74 after being hospitalized for a respiratory ailment. He was known as one of the world's greatest athletes and was expected to only be in the hospital for a short stay. Throughout his career, Ali was known for his incredible boxing skills and willingness to stand up for what he believed in, including his opposition to the Vietnam War and draft. Despite controversy and criticism, Ali became a universally admired figure and a true legend in the world of professional sports.
StevieTNZ
Boxing great Muhammad Ali has died after his health took a turn for the worse.

Ali, 74, one of the world's most celebrated athletes, was hospitalised this week for a respiratory ailment.

News before was that he only had hours to live.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/80754026/muhammad-ali-has-died

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11650743

RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The last news that I heard was that he was expected to just be in the hospital for a short stay.
Ali was a true gentleman. Rest in peace.

The guy never hesitated to stand up for what he thought was right. Was truly the greatest of all time. RIP.

Likes Lisa!
A true class act. And what a character. As a kid, I always enjoyed the interplay between Ali and Cosell.

I remember him as Cassius Clay before the draft for the Vietnam war. His daughter Laila Ali is on the Food Network and she comes across as delightful, he has stunningly beautiful children, may he rest in peace and best wishes for his family.

R.I.P Muhammad Ali!

I and all the other males in my extended family were gathered around the radio when Cassius Clay fought heavily favored Sonny Liston for his first professional heavyweight title bout. The elders were all amazed when Clay scored his stunning first round knockout. Claims of a fix were widely made but never resolved. Whatever the truth of that match, I followed Clay, then later Ali, for the remainder of his career. He was the most important boxer I ever heard of, not just for his amazing speed, power and cunning in the ring, but also for his principled stand against the Vietnam war and draft which cost him years from his fighting prime.

It is ironic that the form of Islam he practiced, at least at the beginning, stood for separation of the races and religions. In later years, he is transformed into an almost universally admired and even unifying figure, despite the faux pas along the way.

I have also heard widely differing opinions on the effect of boxing on his subsequent Parkinson's disease.

Bottom line, Muhammad Ali's revolutionary effect upon professional sports, aided by media figures such as Howard Cosell, was such that there literally can never be another like him - a true legend

Last edited:
Likes mheslep

1. Who was Muhammad Ali and why is his death significant?

Muhammad Ali was a legendary boxer and one of the most iconic and influential figures in sports history. His death is significant because he was not only a three-time world heavyweight champion, but also a civil rights activist and humanitarian who inspired millions of people around the world.

2. When did Muhammad Ali die?

Muhammad Ali died on June 3, 2016, at the age of 74, after a long battle with Parkinson's disease.

3. What was Muhammad Ali's impact on the world of boxing?

Muhammad Ali revolutionized the sport of boxing with his unique fighting style, quick wit, and larger-than-life personality. He also broke racial and religious barriers in the sport, becoming a role model for many athletes and inspiring a new generation of boxers.

4. How did Muhammad Ali use his fame to make a positive impact on society?

Muhammad Ali was not only known for his athletic achievements, but also for his activism and humanitarian work. He used his fame and platform to speak out against racism, injustice, and war, and to promote peace and unity. He also dedicated much of his life to humanitarian efforts, including raising funds and awareness for various charitable organizations.

5. What is Muhammad Ali's legacy?

Muhammad Ali's legacy extends far beyond the world of boxing. He will be remembered as a champion, both in the ring and in his fight for social justice. His legacy continues to inspire people to stand up for their beliefs, to be proud of their heritage, and to use their voice and platform for the greater good.