Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Muhammad Yunus

1. Dec 21, 2005 #1
    For those of you that have never heard of him, Dr. Yunus is from Bangladesh and is the solution to fighting poverty. His system is based on microeconomics. I have the video of him on Charlie Rose that I would like to share, but I can’t put a file that big on my crapy angel fire page. I managed to fit a small segment of him on there saying the quote on my profile. If anyone knows a free web hosting that will let me put up 50MB please let me know. The limit on mine is 20MB. Let the link load, and then refresh the webpage to see the video play. You MUST hear what he has to say, you WILL be enlightened.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2005 #2
  4. Dec 21, 2005 #3

Staff: Mentor

Cyrus, thanks for that information. I would also add - http://www.grameen-info.org/.

I would not be surprised if Prof. Muhammad Yunus will win a Nobel Prize in Economics. According to a page on the site, Yunua may have been nominated twice for the Nobel in economics.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  5. Dec 22, 2005 #4
  6. Oct 13, 2006 #5

Muhammad Yunus wins 2006 Nobel Peace Prize

Bangladesh bankers to the poor win Nobel Peace Prize

I still think he should get the Nobel Prize in Economics for demonstrating the practical and profound concept that lifts millions out of poverty!

Go Yunus!
  7. Oct 13, 2006 #6
    Here is a short clip of Yunus that should give people an idea of what he is all about. This is the one where he uses the analogy of the bonsai tree.

I think cyrus posted a similiar link a long time ago.

I have always had a personal belief that that the wealthy want to keep people on the bottom. It is like a reverse trickle down theory, In as much as taking advantage of the poor and their labor moves wealth up and concentrates it at the top.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  8. Oct 13, 2006 #7
    the first 2 links dont seem to work
  9. Oct 13, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have a new hero!
  10. Oct 14, 2006 #9

Nobel Peace Prize credits microlender

Quite an exceptional man!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?