Finding Volume in Positive Octant using Multiple Integration

• Thread starter AlmostFamous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the author is struggling to find the volume bound by 2x+z=3 and y+3z=9 in the positive octant, but is unsure about how to proceed because of the limits of integration for x and y that depend on z. The author suggests splitting the problem into two integrals, one for y and one for z, in order to get a more accurate answer.
AlmostFamous
okay, I'm not as bad at this as all the questions make me out to be lol

here's the question I've got...

Find the volume bound by 2x+z=3 and y+3z=9 in the positive octant, i.e. x, y and z >=0

what i tried was finding the limits on y first. i got from 0 to 9-3z
for x : 0 to [itex]\frac{z-3}\2[/itex]

but then for z i can't find any.

saying that, i don't think the first two are right. I've always had trouble deciding the limits for a 3D object. Any help on the limits would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your order of integration? Since you have limits of integration for x and y that depend on z, I assume that z is the "outer integral". In that case, the limits of integration, for z, must be constant. It's clear that the lower limit is z= 0. What is the largest possible value for z?

However, I'm not certain that the single integral will give the correct value. It looks to me like you are going to need to break this into two integrals at the place where the two planes intersect.

There isn't an order specified, but I would also assume that z would be the outer integral.

Am i right in saying that the largest value for z would be 3, so the z limits are 0 to 3?

i've looked at this question again, and I don't know what you mean by splitting it up. I've never had a question like that before.

first integrate from 0 to y=9-3z with respect to y, then 0 to 3-2x with respect to z, then find numerical boundaries of the domain with respect to x, from zero to...you should be able to figure it out. All of the info is self contained, one is covering all of the volume elements of the specified boundary. The function to integrate is simply 1. Kinda remember this from multivariable which I took this past semester.

1. What is multiple integration?

Multiple integration is a mathematical technique used to find the volume, area, or other properties of a three-dimensional shape by integrating over multiple variables.

2. What is the difference between single and multiple integration?

Single integration involves integrating over a single variable, such as x or y. Multiple integration involves integrating over multiple variables, such as x, y, and z.

3. How is multiple integration used in science?

Multiple integration is used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena.

4. What are the different types of multiple integration?

There are three main types of multiple integration: double integration, triple integration, and iterated integration. Double integration involves integrating over two variables, triple integration involves integrating over three variables, and iterated integration involves breaking down a multiple integral into a series of single integrals.

5. What are some common applications of multiple integration?

Some common applications of multiple integration include finding the volume of a solid, calculating the center of mass of an object, and solving optimization problems in economics and engineering.