Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multi-axis rocker switch

1. Nov 23, 2007 #1
    Can anyone point me to a source of multi-axis rocker switches? Similar to a joystick, but a lower profile. A joystick is acceptable too, but most have too high of a profile. The handle should ideally be no higher than about 3/4 inch. I've tried the obvious sources through www.globalspec.com and have done some googling but come up with only one 2 axis rocker from Penny Giles. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2007 #2
  4. Nov 24, 2007 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

5. Nov 24, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You could also just obtain a cheap joystick and cut the handle off...

6. Nov 24, 2007 #5
    That one from Grayhill looks pretty promising. I do recall seeing it while looking for another product and couldn't remember where I had seen it. I don't see an IP rating on it though and it needs to live outdoors. There are joysticks out there that have IP ratings suitable for being exposed to a high pressure water jet. I would prefer one like that. I don't think the Grayhill joystick looks good enough to survive outdoors. I could be wrong, I'll look into it.
    -
    Danger, this switch is to be used in production. I'm not ready to cut the handle off of anything just yet.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  7. Nov 24, 2007 #6
    Membrane keypads generally aren't available off-the-shelf, but if anyone knows of anything I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure what tool-up costs are and if it would be worth it for smaller quantities. A membrane keypad with 4 keys could certainly replace a joystick.

8. Nov 26, 2007 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Ah, I thought that this was just a personal project. How about trying to find a source for those obsolete Mattel Intellivision consols? The controllers were just basic joystick internals, but with a disk on top rather than a stick. How many do you need?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?