1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multi-axis rocker switch

1. Nov 23, 2007 #1

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can anyone point me to a source of multi-axis rocker switches? Similar to a joystick, but a lower profile. A joystick is acceptable too, but most have too high of a profile. The handle should ideally be no higher than about 3/4 inch. I've tried the obvious sources through www.globalspec.com and have done some googling but come up with only one 2 axis rocker from Penny Giles. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2007 #2
  4. Nov 24, 2007 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Allied Electronics has just about everything.

How about this?
    http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=948-0343&SEARCH=&ID=&DESC=04A%2DB01&R=948%2D0343&sid=47476980905E17F&tab=overview#tab [Broken]

Data sheets:
    http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/Datasheets/948-0343.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  5. Nov 24, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You could also just obtain a cheap joystick and cut the handle off...

6. Nov 24, 2007 #5

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That one from Grayhill looks pretty promising. I do recall seeing it while looking for another product and couldn't remember where I had seen it. I don't see an IP rating on it though and it needs to live outdoors. There are joysticks out there that have IP ratings suitable for being exposed to a high pressure water jet. I would prefer one like that. I don't think the Grayhill joystick looks good enough to survive outdoors. I could be wrong, I'll look into it.
    -
    Danger, this switch is to be used in production. I'm not ready to cut the handle off of anything just yet.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  7. Nov 24, 2007 #6

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Membrane keypads generally aren't available off-the-shelf, but if anyone knows of anything I'd appreciate it. I'm not sure what tool-up costs are and if it would be worth it for smaller quantities. A membrane keypad with 4 keys could certainly replace a joystick.

8. Nov 26, 2007 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Ah, I thought that this was just a personal project. How about trying to find a source for those obsolete Mattel Intellivision consols? The controllers were just basic joystick internals, but with a disk on top rather than a stick. How many do you need?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook