Multi-Channel Analyser: Scintillation Counter Usage

• Thread starter retupmoc
  • Start date
In summary: Some of the newer digital MCAs I've seen do upwards of 8192 channels. I think some of the newer PCI MCA boards you can get are only limited by your available memory. Of course, what you get out of your MCA is only as good as your detector. You're probably not going to get much benefit coupling a NaI detectory with low energy resolution with an 8k channel MCA.Thanks Bug. Wish I was still working with accelerators.
retupmoc
What does it do in a scintillation counter, does it split the voltage pulse into several amplitude channels which are proportional to energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
An MCA takes each pulse and categorizes it (increments a counter for each channel) according to amplitude based on it's settings for the upper and lower level discriminators for each channel. There's no pulse splitting taking place.

Where does the energy relationship for each channel come into play?

retupmoc said:
Where does the energy relationship for each channel come into play?
Any time an MCA is used, it needs to be calibrated using two or more radiation source with known energies (Co-57, Cs-137 are some typical calibration sources). Most MCAs can be programmed or set so that each channel represents a particular energy increment or unit (usually 1 eV/channel, or 1 keV/channel) depending on the energy range of interest.

A typical MCA calibration sequence would go something like:
[*]Acquire energy spectra of some known sources (each with different photopeak energies at opposite ends of your energy range of interest)
[*]Identify the channels associated with each photopeak energy.
[*]calculate the eV or keV/channel

imabug said:
Any time an MCA is used, it needs to be calibrated using two or more radiation source with known energies (Co-57, Cs-137 are some typical calibration sources). Most MCAs can be programmed or set so that each channel represents a particular energy increment or unit (usually 1 eV/channel, or 1 keV/channel) depending on the energy range of interest.

A typical MCA calibration sequence would go something like:
[*]Acquire energy spectra of some known sources (each with different photopeak energies at opposite ends of your energy range of interest)
[*]Identify the channels associated with each photopeak energy.
[*]calculate the eV or keV/channel
Back when I was is school, our MCA had 1024 channels for the 2MEV Van de Graff. Just curious how many channels MCAs have now days?

Regards
Don

dlgoff said:
Back when I was is school, our MCA had 1024 channels for the 2MEV Van de Graff. Just curious how many channels MCAs have now days?

Regards
Don
Some of the newer digital MCAs I've seen do upwards of 8192 channels. I think some of the newer PCI MCA boards you can get are only limited by your available memory. Of course, what you get out of your MCA is only as good as your detector. You're probably not going to get much benefit coupling a NaI detectory with low energy resolution with an 8k channel MCA.

Thanks Bug. Wish I was still working with accelerators.

Don

1. What is a multi-channel analyser and how does it work?

A multi-channel analyser is a scientific instrument that is used to analyze and measure the energy of particles or photons produced by a scintillation counter. It works by detecting the light produced by the scintillation counter and converting it into electronic signals, which are then sorted into different energy levels and displayed on a graph or spectrum.

2. What is the purpose of using a scintillation counter with a multi-channel analyser?

A scintillation counter is used to detect and measure radiation, while a multi-channel analyser is used to analyze and interpret the data produced by the scintillation counter. Together, they provide scientists with a way to study and understand different types of radiation, such as alpha, beta, and gamma particles.

3. How is a multi-channel analyser calibrated?

A multi-channel analyser is calibrated by using known radioactive sources with known energy levels. These sources are measured and their energy levels are recorded on the analyser. This allows for accurate energy measurements of unknown sources to be taken and interpreted.

4. What are the advantages of using a multi-channel analyser with a scintillation counter?

One advantage of using a multi-channel analyser with a scintillation counter is the ability to analyze and interpret a wide range of energies. This allows for the identification and differentiation of various types of radiation. Additionally, the data produced by the analyser can be easily stored and analyzed, making it a useful tool for research and experiments.

5. How can a multi-channel analyser be used in different fields of science?

A multi-channel analyser can be used in a variety of scientific fields, such as nuclear physics, medical physics, and environmental science. It can be used to study and measure radiation in different materials and environments, as well as to identify and quantify radioactive elements. It can also be used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, to produce images of internal body structures and functions.