How Common is Multi-Majoring in Physics?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Catria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, many schools allow easy fitting in of a math major on top of a physics major, but it is not always easy and it is not always a good idea.
Catria
I know that, at some schools, it was rather easy to fit in a math major on top of a physics major and double-major with sometimes only as little as ~3-4 additional math courses...

Alternatively, some engineering majors take so many physics courses that they decide, at some point, that it might be a good idea to take up the remaining few physics courses (again, sometimes it can also be as little as 3-4 additional physics courses) and complete a physics major alongside their engineering major, unless they operate on a dual-degree plan similar to Tulane-Vanderbilt or Fordham/W&M-Columbia, in which case they will already complete a physics major.

How many will, in fact, use physics as a secondary major to something else? Or use physics as a primary major but still have a secondary major?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was just seeking advice about doing this in another thread, actually. I was planning on doing Physics primarily, but then adding in Computer Science or Math as a dual major or possibly a minor.

I'm not sure if you're asking if it's a good idea or rather how many people do a double major. I can say in my physics program, roughly half the students are double majoring in math and another large percentage double majoring in something else... I'm in the minority of going straight physics. It may be different at other institutions where there my be more courses required for the physics major and less freedom to explore other fields. I don't necessarily think it's a good idea to double major unless you are really serious about keeping both options open for graduate school.

I was asking how many people did a double major...

Years ago, I did a double major in physics and math at a small liberal-arts college. Along about my junior year, I realized that I had taken enough math already for my physics major, that I could easily do a math major, too. One of the other physics majors in my graduating class also doubled with math.

If my college had offered a computer science major instead of just a couple of programming courses, I probably would have double-majored in that instead of math, because I enjoyed programming and did a lot of it in my spare time.

jtbell said:
If my college had offered a computer science major instead of just a couple of programming courses, I probably would have double-majored in that instead of math, because I enjoyed programming and did a lot of it in my spare time.
Me too probably. But back then, we WERE the computer scientist. Just sayin'.

1. What is multi-majoring?

Multi-majoring refers to the practice of pursuing multiple majors during your undergraduate studies. This means that you will complete the requirements for two or more different academic disciplines, such as physics and mathematics, in order to receive multiple degrees.

2. Can I major in physics and another subject at the same time?

Yes, you can. Many universities offer the option to pursue a double major, which allows you to complete the requirements for two different majors simultaneously. You can also choose to major in one subject and minor in another, or even pursue a second degree in a different subject after completing your first one.

3. Is it common to multi-major in physics?

Multi-majoring in physics is not as common as pursuing a double major in other subjects, but it is still a popular choice for students who have a strong interest in both physics and another subject. It requires careful planning and time management, but can be a rewarding and valuable experience.

4. How can multi-majoring in physics benefit me?

Multi-majoring in physics can provide you with a diverse and well-rounded education. It allows you to develop a strong understanding of physics principles while also gaining knowledge and skills in another subject. This can be beneficial for future career opportunities, as well as graduate studies in a related field.

5. Can I still graduate on time if I multi-major in physics?

It is possible to graduate on time while multi-majoring in physics, but it may require careful planning and a heavy course load. It is important to work closely with your academic advisor to ensure that you are on track to complete all of the requirements for both majors within your desired timeline.